• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Leaf Curling

So im growing roughly 20 varieties of peppers this year (Two plants of each variety), ranging from extremely mild to Extremely hot. All of my peppers seem to be doing very well. All except my two Peter Pepper Plants. Now i basically water all my plants the same, keeping the soil damp but not sodden. And all the other plants are growing like crazy. My Peter pepper plants have a slight upward curl to the leaves. Now i originally thought it may be due to too much light so i brought them out of the light for 24hrs or so to see if there was any changes and there wasnt. Im wondering if for some reason maybe they arent getting enough water? I plan on trying to water them slightly more than my other plants but i was wondering what you all thought before i did.

Heres a close up picture of the leaves.

I have a Pro-Mix water additive that gets added to the watering every two weeks per box instructions. Like i said all the other plants are doing fantastic. Actually one random plant that judy sent a a freebie has made me move the Shop lights up about three times so far because its grown so tall so fast. I really dont know, when i look at the picture im starting to think maybe it needs more watering than my other varieties since on two of the leaves there is a little browning near the tips. 

Well i dont think the humidity is too low i grow these in my basement, i do have a de-humidifier but it really only brings the room to a relatively comfortable humidity

rkempston said:
keeping the soil damp but not sodden.

This IMO, is overwatering. Most plants, especially peppers, respond best to a cycle that goes from soaking wet to dry. Then water again.

You got a good problem here.  Could be pH or nute deficiencies.Whats this Pro-Mix additive? Ive never heard of it. I suggest switching to a nice balanced fertilizer like Dyna Gro's Foliage Pro if you like the liquid feed.

The leaf tip burn you mentioned is usually nute burn.

Need more info to nail this down.

I had a bhut due that to me was root bound and had a bit of root rot was mistaking the wilting from being root bound with needing water and way over watered it

I may try that water cycle then, i actually Didnt water these two for two days anyways so they were getting dry. I still find it weird that its only the peter peppers doing it too.

Different species require different care. Be it watering, humidity, ferts etc. Gotta play around and find what makes em happy. I find it fun :-)

Some peppers respond differently.
As example, I have a couple Brown Morugas growing next to a few Bishops hats and Brazillian starfish. The hats and starfish need easily twice as much water and fertilizer than the Morugas. If I gave them all the same amount of water I would have either drowned my morugas or dried up my hats and starfish.

Humidity and temps can affect different varieties too. It can be a challenge to find the happy medium. I imagine it could be close to impossible in an indoor setup.

And as far as everything i have, i have them set up under a T8 48" shoplight with daylights bulbs running 18-6 on a timer. I water them once every two days or so just barely keeping the soil moist. And give them the fertilizer once every two weeks.

But in the end if i lose the peter peppers that'll be somewhat alright in the scheme of things. Either that or i can move just those two plants upstairs and give them solo treatment.

It looks like physiological leaf roll to me which is just a physical response to some stress and most likely if you remove the stressor the plants will recover easily.  I do see some dead tissue on the edges of the leaves which could be an indication of some sort of moisture issues either too wet or dry, I would repot and Ill bet they will improve.

Back