• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Grey Water

Have been reading up on methods to treat grey water (sink, shower).  One method involves passing it threw a grow bed.  Although there are plants listed as being best for this, I would imagine things like dish soap, shampoo, and bleach would be horrible for any plant.  Ah but then I look at how much faster the grass grows over the lateral lines for our septic system.

So what do you think?  Is soap, bleach, and that sort of stuff harmful to pants?  Could it be that by the time it has been used it is so diluted that it is not dangerous?

Just sort of goofing with some ideas.

ajdrew said:
Have been reading up on methods to treat grey water (sink, shower).  One method involves passing it threw a grow bed.  Although there are plants listed as being best for this, I would imagine things like dish soap, shampoo, and bleach would be horrible for any plant.  Ah but then I look at how much faster the grass grows over the lateral lines for our septic system.

So what do you think?  Is soap, bleach, and that sort of stuff harmful to pants?  Could it be that by the time it has been used it is so diluted that it is not dangerous?

Just sort of goofing with some ideas.

My  grey water gets pumped out to the fruit trees and one small garden spot. I have noticed no adverse affects. The guy that lived here for 50 years prior to me did the same thing.It is my understanding that you do not use grey water on root crops.

Someguy, do you use bleach for cleaning?  That is the one that gets me the most.  I would imagine the bleach would kill the bacteria that turns organic material into what plants need.

ajdrew said:
Someguy, do you use bleach for cleaning?  That is the one that gets me the most.  I would imagine the bleach would kill the bacteria that turns organic material into what plants need.

Yes I do use bleach. I am the only person living in this household so my use of bleach is minimal. I'm not sure if the grey water is good or bad for my plants and trees, but they do seem to thrive and produce lots of fruit. I do work a very large of organic material into the soil. The small garden patch that gets grey water produced thousands of tomatoes this year and they were very tasty. The other garden spots get no grey water and they produce just as well. 

All in all I have no issues using grey water on non root crops. 

Cat Tail plants are natural filters and are used for natural septic systems, so if you have a small pond like are you could plant them and they do the rest.Theirs another but cant recall the name, maybe Water Hyacinth used to clear toxic waste.

FreePortBum, nope but do have aspirations.  Is one of the reasons I am looking into a grow bed as a way of treating grey water in a closed grow bed instead of discharging to gardens.  Even though I am now 50, I continue to dream of building an earth ship style home.

Reason I was asking is a friend of mine had to have a collection system for his. To keep his organic certification with mofga. Not sure how it is where you are.

FreeportBum, yep grey water is generally not organic due to soap and cleaning products. Is one of the reasons I want to capture it, clean it and reuse it.  Probably never happen, but a hippie can dream.

Back