• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Blair's sauce ingredients

Anybody have an idea of what the main ingredients would be in Blair's original sauce?

I've experimented a decent amount with super hots plus different ingredients such as cayenne, chili powders, cumin, tomatoes, chipotles, etc.

The best tasting ratio of ingredients that I've created so far for a sauce has been 20 scorpions/ghosts/nagas to 3/4 cup vinegar, 1 tbsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1 can chipotles in adobo. Super hot but a nice complex smoky, fruity flavor.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion of ingredients that leads me closer to breaking down the flavors in one of my favorites, like Blair's.

Agreed on the original sauce being awesome. My goal is to make a much hotter version utilizing fresh super hots, while avoiding the extract additions that came in the later Blair"s concoctions.

I think the habanero, vinegar, cayenne, garlic & chipotle ratios can be figured out brought trial and error though I'm curious what spices in what quantities are in the recipe.

I guess it's a good thing I have a freezer full of super hots. I will most definitely share the ratios that arrive at the best sauce.

Thanks for the replies all!

Just got done with experimenting with the ratios a bit for the first shot...finished with the following:

- 3 chocolate scorpions
- 30 habaneros
- 6 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 small can of chipotle in adobo
- 6 tsp cilantro
- 4 tsp lemon juice
- 1.5 c white vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic

All ingredients puréed in food processor, then simmered and bottled hot. The weird part is that when fresh the sauce tasted well proportioned, smoky from the chipotles, heavy habanero taste, with some savory complexity from the remaining ingredients. Once boiled and simmered for a few minutes the lemon juice is more in the forefront and resulted in a more acidic tasting sauce. I am curious if when it cools down and ages a bit to mellow flavors together, if it will return to where it was when fresh.

I won't kid myself or any of you into thinking I am anywhere near the taste of Blair's artisanal sauce recipe.

Would love to here through other's experience if your sauces have been known to change when cooked versus fresh.

Sounds like a valiant effort man! I'm new to hot sauce but not cooking. I'd add any citrus at the very end to not change their flavor. Not too many worries with nssties as long as it's citrus. For herbs, I'd toss 'em in the boil for a minute or 2. Veggies carry more nasties than meat, but nothing heat can't kill.

Appreciate the knowledge shared "johnsmyname", I'm learning that cooking and sauce making share very similar recipe building dynamics.

Round 2 happened this morning, my wife must be counting her blessings to get to smell a houseful of chilies again with such short time lapsed between the last round. (Note she hates the smell of the super hots).

- 3 chocolate scorpions, 1 butch t, 3 ghosts, 1 naga viper
- 30 habaneros
- 6 tsp. cayenne powder
- 2 can chipotle in adobo
- 4 tsp lemon juice (added at the end) thanks!
- 1.5 c vinegar
- 3/4 c water
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. chili powder

Turned out much better than round 1. The water, sugar and late citrus addition toned down the acidity flavor. I boiled the sauce a bit longer than usual to tone down the floral aspect of the super hots as well. The additional chipotles and garlic definitely rounded off the sauce more as a dynamic chipotle sauce.

This round should be a good chipotle slathering sauce for tacos, chili, eggs, etc. Next year I will grow cayenne to add fresh, and smke jalapeños for my own chipotles. Always room for improvement!

Thanks for the advise all!

The hardest part of trying to duplicate a sauce like Blairs, Marie Sharp, Cholulla is getting the spices right because the bottle just says "spices." Well and they're doing it in bulk but we know it is gonna be X tablespoons or teaspoons of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika etc. I myself am trying to mimic Cholulla right now in the test kitchen.

Thanks for sharing looks good! My wife maybe gonna help me pickle some Jals today :-) she shares your wife's plight, as well.

One thing to remember is that how a sauce tastes right out of the pot and how it's going to taste 10, 20, even 30 days later are day and night different. Give those trials some time ringer all happy in the bottle and then try them.

Back