• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Canadian Bacon

just a little tweak and you could make some peameal bacon too..   

peameal.jpg

peameal1.jpg

it is a variation on  BackBacon  ( known outside of Canada as Canadian bacon) .   Same cut used and brine cured, but instead of smoking it is rolled in Corn meal.  Back in the day they actually used coarse ground yellow peas , thus still called peameal bacon.  It can be smoked as well but that is atypical.   To be honest peameal bacon is more popular here  than back bacon in my experience. 

I make a batch  of my own every 4 or 5 months and keep it portioned  in chunks in the freezer.  The typical storebought stuff these days has really come down in quality from what I remember as a kid, and it is so easy to make. 

peamealbaconbrine.jpg

peamealbacon.jpg

Okay, slight change of plan. In a city of 2 million, you apparently can't buy Prague Powder #1 (pink curing salt) anywhere, even at the specialty grocery stores.

I did get this, which does contain curing salts but is a bit different.
morton-tender-quick-two-pound-bag.png

So, I follow the Morton recipe since it is their product.

1TBSP Tender quick and 1tsp white sugar per pound of meat. Rub it on as a dry rub for 3-5 days.

Here is where we are as of last night. 5-1/4 pounds of trimmed pork tenderloin all rubbed down and heading to the fridge for 4 days.

20151122_192244.jpg
20151122_192234.jpg

Jeff H said:
Okay, slight change of plan. In a city of 2 million, you apparently can't buy Prague Powder #1 (pink curing salt) anywhere, even at the specialty grocery stores.

bass pro, Cabellas, Gander Mountain and most hunting/outdoors speciality stores will most likely carry it.

Ashen said:

bass pro, Cabellas, Gander Mountain and most hunting/outdoors speciality stores will most likely carry it.

Good to know. Thanks. I never would have thought to check there. We have both Cabalas and Bass Pro here; I'll look into it the next time I am on that side of town.

Back