• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Carolina Reaper flowers, but they fall off!

It took my Carolina Reaper plant about 4 months to flower. Way longer than my Butch T plant. I was happy when it flowered, but when I moved the plant into partial shade all the flowers fell off when I put it down! Every two weeks there are dozens of flowers. They all fall off. This same plant also dropped all its leaves while it was a seedling. My Butch T plant also dropped most, but not all of its leaves but it is churning out dozens of peppers every months.

I think I burned the plants with too much nutes as well. All the leaves are blistered. No discoloration. I quit feeding the plants and used only tap water for the last month and my Butch T plant has far less blistered and brittle/crunchy around the corner leaves anymore. The Carolina Reaper plant still has no new flowers. I'm concidering winterizing it or just getting a new plant next year.

What can cause a pepper plant to drop all its new flowers? What might have cased both my pepper plants to drop leaves when they were seedlings? I think they dropped the leaves because i didn't ween them outdoors. I just plopped them out there and the wind was too much and they all fell off. No leaves left on the plants for 3 weeks and it still lived and grew new ones!

Moving it can cause it. So can improper temperatures, too much water, and a lot of other things. Mine didn't fruit until the second year I had because it didn't have enough sun.

Too hot,too cold,too dry,too wet,too much sun,not enough sun,low pollination rates,high humidity,low humidity,too much ferts,not enough ferts or by far the most common cause.You looked at it funny.
My plants dropped thoudands of flowers before they set.it drove me mad but they did come right.

Its my first grow so I probably did everything wrong. My Butch T is growing just fine. Minus some nute burn. The Reaper has one flower that set I just found, pushing out a pepper. I can shake my Butch T like a baby and it holds on to all its flowers no problem.

What you're describing is not nutrient burn (though they may have been burned), it is a Calcium or Magnesium deficiency (the two look very similar).  Butch T is particularly sensitive to Ca, and Reaper barely less so. (Really, these are not varieties to be recommended to first time growers.)

The solution is probably not as simple as adding Ca or Mg (a little epsom salts for Mg).  Nutes such as these may indeed be present, but conditions could be such that the pplant can't use them.  It's called "poor nutirient mobility", and can have several causes, one of which is soil pH.  (Pittsburgh tap water is around 7.7, so not too alkaline, but could be better - plants like slightly acidic soil, in the low 6s.)

Don't worry about the blossom drop until you get the rest sorted.

What are you using for your potting mix?  How big are the plants?  How big the pots? 

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

Reactions: DMF
Back