• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Need a good blender

My last blender broke in the middle of pureeing my last hot sauce batch.  Fortunately, the batch was almost at the desired consistency before the motor stopped working.  I don't remember what I spent, but it was wasn't a lot, probably something between $19.99 and $29.99.   I was under the mistaken impression that an "El Chepo" model would hold up.  This turned out to be a total piece of crap!  I hadn't used it for more than 5 times (Not more than a total of 25 minutes) before the motor stopped working, and the text above the buttons (Puree, chop etc) washed off as soon as it got wet.

I need a recommendation for a good blender.  I'm only going to use it to make hot sauces, and maybe some smoothies or some fruit juices.  With that in mind, I'm not 100% sure that I need a blender, maybe some related device (juicer?) that can puree ingredients.  I'd rather not have to spend $100.00 or more, but do need something that will do the job and last.  I will need good blades, as I add whole lemons and limes to my sauces.

What do some of the experienced sauce makers recommend?

Thanks

I had the same thing happend to my "El Cheapo" garage sale blender earlier this summer and ended up picking up one of those Ninja blenders. Was a little over a C note and does everything I need to do to make pepper sauce.

Galveston340 said:
I had the same thing happend to my "El Cheapo" garage sale blender earlier this summer and ended up picking up one of those Ninja blenders. Was a little over a C note and does everything I need to do to make pepper sauce.
It looks like the Ninja models come in around $116.00 or so.  I may pick one up.

I use an Oster which has a glass pitcher. Been thinking on a ninja but the ones I have seen have plastic pitchers or whatever you want to call it. I prefer glass so the capsaisin doesn't stay in the plastic.

Justaguy said:
I use an Oster which has a glass pitcher. Been thinking on a ninja but the ones I have seen have plastic pitchers or whatever you want to call it. I prefer glass so the capsaisin doesn't stay in the plastic.
Good thought—Don't want to lose any capsaicin! 

Ninja/Blendtech/Vitamix
Least to most expensive, those are my choices when mine goes. Always been an Oster person, blender lasted 30 years, new ones 6 months if your not carefull. Blades also awefull and will leak after a while. Service is also crap for Oster now :(

Remember this in everything you purchase, "BUY NICE OR BUY TWICE!" I use a vitamix and it is awesome.  I also drink smoothies everyday so it made sense to spend that much. it will turn anything into liquid, seeds stems hands. It also comes with a 7 year warranty. you dont have to spend $500, but remeber that if you buy a $30 blender, you only get $30 worth of blender.  It takes like $50+ to fill my car with gasoline and i do that every week or so.  Spend the dough and get a blender that will last. sidenote - a juicer will NOT work, unless you want a little bit of chili juice in a glass and a whole bunch of chili pulp in the catch. 

Yes they are BLENDING!!!
tumblr_n4yomg6V5h1t93vt5o1_500.gif

I burnt out three of Kitchen Aids finest and they had a great warranty but finally fired me.  I got a vitamix my mom had been praising for years.  Like the other gentleman above, I make half my meals in mine plus thick, heavy hummus from time to time.  It's great!  I like the simple manual controls and the power.   I love it for making hot sauce.  If I run it to hot it just cuts off for a minute rather than smoking and never running again like the kitchen aid. 

I'm currently researching 3 blenders.

1- Blendtec
2- Vitamix
3- Waring Xtreme mx1000 commercial

Right now the Waring is the front runner. Used commercially in bars, coffee shops, smoothie places, restaurant's,  etc...........

Back