• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Preservatives and Taste

To what extend to preservatives affect the quality of your food? I have a few good recipes for some skhug (Yemenite pepper spread) and hummus that I was considering tinkering around with on a test audience to see if it could be something worth while. However, I've never used a preservative in my life for food preparation... at least not the kind you intentionally add to the recipe to make it last longer.  I've eaten them, but, it's hard to tell what the same product would be like without preservatives inside.

I buy humus w/o preservatives, so it can be done. So don't do it. It's not a good thing, these days.

Most preservative will not alter taste, some will, like citric acid. If you use them go natural. 

Salt and vinegar for hummus? That sounds like it'd ruin the whole thing. Same for skhug. I do put canola in the skhug so that's less of a problem. I suppose if I could get it air-tight it'd be fine for that. But, hummus usually doesn't last for more than a week in my experience. Usually 3-4 days after preparation. How long does yours last that you can buy it without preservatives?

It lasts longer. It may have citric acid not sure, some hummus has lemon so citric acid would not ruin it, you would use it instead or with and get the pH right. I'll check next time I buy.

Back