#1 rkempston

rkempston

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • aka:Frodo

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:27 PM

So I'm growing a few varieties of peppers in my house through the winter season. I currently have my first pepper plant (bisbas) starting to flower. I was wondering if there was anyway to polinate the pepper indoors? I tried this last year with no luck by taking a cotton swab from flower to flower. Also it's sitting near my habenero plant that is also flowering. So I want to avoid cross Polination if possible.

#2 moruga welder

moruga welder

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 9,083 posts
  • aka:moruga welder

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:38 PM

just tap the base of the plant , or a fan will work      :onfire:

#3 Weed

Weed

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:27 PM

drumroll the main stems with two fingers when you got flowers open for a few seconds, im not talking about the trunk

We are airy nothings.

#4 President Trump

President Trump

Smokin' Hot

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:59 PM

2 in a room. Wiggle it just a little bit. 

If you wiggle it too much you might cross 'em.

Posted Image

#5 N8thaniel

N8thaniel

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:42 AM

just tap the base of the plant , or a fan will work      :onfire:

yes fan for more reasons than just pollination 

my grow thehotpepper.com/topic/58836-2016s-fresh-startledphotonfactory/

#6 Mabuse

Mabuse

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:10 AM

When you say you had no luck with cotton last year you mean flowers didn't set? This is my first year growing and when a flower doesn't set I don't know how to tell if it didn't pollinate or if it had some other problem, but i've found that most flowers set pods by themselves even if they are indoors without airflow or bugs or me doing anything about it.

#7 Comptine

Comptine

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:08 PM

I usually 'finger' the flowers, that seems to work for me.

#8 dubG

dubG

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

yes fan for more reasons than just pollination

+1

#9 rkempston

rkempston

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • aka:Frodo

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:27 PM

I'm afraid of cross polination between the hab and bisbas so maybe I'll just try the shake method. And by cotton swab I mean I took a cotton swab and swabbed every flower to spread the pollen.

#10 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:05 PM

I use a fan pointed at my plants when my chinenses and baccatums are flowering indoors, and have had good success with that. Plus, the wind strengthens the branches for when it's time to go outside, and the fungus nats hate the fan. I use the cotton swab technique with indoor pubescens, plus I also grow the rocoto literally right next to each other so that their branches inter mix. That way I can rub flowers from different plants together, which works pretty well. Obviously the success rates are way worse for me indoors than outdoors. Indoors I would say I get like 50% flower drops on the chinenses and baccatums, and 60%-75% flower drops on the pubescens. It's still nice to have some fresh pods to munch on in the winter, so totally worth it.

#11 Chilima

Chilima

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:27 AM

So I'm growing a few varieties of peppers in my house through the winter season. I currently have my first pepper plant (bisbas) starting to flower. I was wondering if there was anyway to polinate the pepper indoors? I tried this last year with no luck by taking a cotton swab from flower to flower. Also it's sitting near my habenero plant that is also flowering. So I want to avoid cross Polination if possible.

Take index finger smudge all over open flower, repeat with every open flower there is, enjoy your peppers later. :P

never had problem with my plants

Heckle:

2 in the pubescens one in the annum

to avoid cross pollination

Edited by Chilima, 22 October 2015 - 12:19 PM.

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper : i like when small tits get swollen from milk, its like big tits that defy gravity, its truly amazing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests