• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Question about rain and cold

Hi all,

Just joined and posted my introduction in the welcome section. Excited to learn more about growing chile here!

I've got 6 NM Big Jim and 6 Mulato plants going here in Santa Fe, where the weather is fast turning cold thanks to the elevation and El Niño, which is also bringing some unheard of precipitation. It was sunny and in the 60s up until yesterday, when we got a day of heavy rain and temperatures in the 40s. Then, last night, the rain stopped but the low got to about 36, and I'm worried about my chiles — I still have a good number of pods on the plants which I was planning on leaving there until they turned red. The forecast has some more rain tomorrow, followed by a return to sunny and 60s for about the next week. Beyond that, all bets are off.

Since this is my first time growing chiles, I'm really not sure what my course of action should be given the change in weather. I've read plenty about rain and heat causing rot, but I'm not sure what to do about rain and cold. Should I pick all my pods and try to ripen them inside? Should I pull up my plants, pot them, and bring them inside? Should I do nothing?

Thanks!
Andrew

A low of 36 is no danger to the plants.  Wait until you see a solid cold stretch coming before you panic.  Rain won't cause rot in any quantity, and cold actually helps by slowing down the munchy organisms.  (It also slows down riping so there's a bit of a trade-off.)  When you're finally staring doom in the face and you don't want to over-winter a plant, cut it off at the base and hang upside down in the garage (where it won't freeze) to give the still-green pods maximum opportunity to ripen. 

Meanwhile, let them enjoy the rain.

And welcome to THP. 

Back