Canada/US Shipping racket.

Due to the high cost of shipping racket that's been in place for some years now its useless to buy anything across the boarder. Earlier this year i tried to order 2lb Reishii mushrooms (dried) and the shipping was $70cdn after the exchange rate. Was just checking on airlocks this morning and that shipping cost came up again, its just unreal.
Brewcraft has them for CDN$ 8.54 shipping

ShippingAirlock_zpsuesmujdr.png

I agree ,,cost me 45$ to send some homemade pickles and sauce to a friend up there

Check a local brew supply,,,I got my airlocks ,,both types,,1,50 each and lids for 1.50 each,,,this is after I had ordered 3 for 25 bones ...doh  :doh:

Reactions: dvg
Imagine freight shipping to Alaska.  This is my plight.  Anything that has good weight or is bulky/oversized like furniture, appliances, car parts, whatever...it's phenomenal.  Those plyboard bookshelves you can buy at WalMart for like $16 down south are over $40 here.

Yep it's ridiculous what the USPS charges to send things internationally -- figure they'll ship incoming things from China for pennies per piece with free tracking on each piece so that the Chinese can sell their cheap electronics for a couple bucks shipped to us but if we try to return the same item it costs over $60 to ship it back for the $2 credit/replacement.

Can't really blame the companies doing the shipping as that is what the USPS and others actually charge them - Then other shippers add extra fees for processing the import through customs that they don't even mention to the person placing the order and expect the receiver to just pay an additional $30 - $50 at the door when the package arrives - which is probably why many US companies have just stopped shipping internationally.

JDFan said:
Yep it's ridiculous what the USPS charges to send things internationally -- figure they'll ship incoming things from China for pennies per piece with free tracking on each piece so that the Chinese can sell their cheap electronics for a couple bucks shipped to us but if we try to return the same item it costs over $60 to ship it back for the $2 credit/replacement.

Things ship cheap from China because the Chinese government massively subsidizes outgoing shipping to support their businesses.

I wish the US would do a similar thing with shipping, but USPS already has a massive deficit and ultimately we have more important things to spend our money on. But Canadian shipping should definitely be much cheaper than the rest of the world (it's already cheaper, but not by much), since we're so close by.

I agree about the crazy customs thing too - I shipped a small $25 package to the UK and the recipient had to pay $17 upon receipt in customs fees. Pro-tip: if you're ordering from a different country, tell the shipper that it's a gift, and that they should mark it as such on the customs form. Gifts aren't usually subject to customs fees. 

I have refunded many international orders for people wanting to order 1 bottle of BBQ sauce or whatever.  The BBQ sauce is 19 ounces (about 500g) and costs $6.99.  Shipping for that one bottle is about $17.

RIDICULOUS!!!! 

I definitely commiserate with everyone, both the orderers and shippers.  On some stuff I regularly order internationally, I usually have to pay $90 for customs/duty/etc to the shipper, usually FedEx.  One time, for some reason, they couldn't get the order out FedEx and had to use a different shipper.  It went to a warehouse in Seattle, I had to hire a broker to physically retrieve the package from the warehouse, fill out all the paperwork, etc,etc,....10 days and $480 later.....I got the shipment.

Thanks P.N.
I used to send packages to Europe with Gift and $20 value on the tab, but sending a birthday card is almost $3 now. Better to just use Euro Amazon lol

Back