• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting What are THP members using the most for mash starters

Sizzle Lips

Extreme Member
I have always used whey from plain Greek yogurt as my starter.....I really would like to know what most of the members here at THP are using.
Collecting whey can be a pain sometimes...but it does work okay.
What I would really like to know is if anyone here use's Caldwells Vegetable Starter Cultures.

Started out using whey (like many do), then switched to just using plain salt (& only salt!) when ever I ferment anything new. If starting a ferment that is a continuation of one I may be finishing or already have another going, I use a little 'starter' from the prior batch. (I have used the prior brine from pickles/sauerkraut/kimchi, etc... but these can often impart flavors as well. If you may be using a recipe with strong flavors in the ending sauce, or certain/longer cook times (if a cooked vs. fresh sauce), this might not even be an issue. Generally with peppers, again- just good ol' salt!

Look at this- but...it really is up to you and what you find works well. As to the Caldwells- I think that would be best (vegetable specific organisms and have read/heard nothing but positive results from its use. I just honestly don't have the extra $ to experiment with. Salt!!)

http://phickle.com/why-i-dont-whey-lacto-fermentation-without-starters/

:cool:

I have used Caldwell's with good results.  Just imo, but I think Caldwells are better for fermenting cukes and other vegetables - I still use it to ferment a giardinera type thing we make with whatever's left from harvest that didn't get used another way.  Also have used harvested whey, sourdough hooch and sauerkraut juice.  Now I only use salt when fermenting pepper mash.  

Peppers, Salt and Veggies or Fruit.

People like Dru have suggested salt.  I agree.  And, proper salt weight is critical.  I use sea salt, kosher, pickling, etc.  These salts are pure and free of anti-caking ingredients and iodine.  Aim for 3.3% by weight.  Okay, 2% - 5%.  Create an anaerobic environment by using lids and air locks and a suggested "room tempurature" (read: not a cold room temperature which allows non-beneficial bacteria to grow) and no direct sunlight.  The process converts the sugars in the veggies (suggested by ColdSmoke) into alcohol and Co2 gasses which give the mash a rise and which the gasses are allowed to escape through a Vodka filled air lock.

The fermentation process takes the {raw} taste of hot peppers and * m-e-l-l-o-w-s * the flavors which is the desired result for all your efforts!

Here is a website I have been passing around to help with fermentation, salt, etc.  Especially take a look at "Measuring and Using Salt in Fermentation."  By weight is important.

http://fermentationrecipes.com/

Hope this helps.

chiltepin said:
Peppers, Salt and Veggies or Fruit.

People like Dru have suggested salt.  I agree.  And, proper salt weight is critical.  I use sea salt, kosher, pickling, etc.  These salts are pure and free of anti-caking ingredients and iodine.  Aim for 3.3% by weight.  Okay, 2% - 5%.  Create an anaerobic environment by using lids and air locks and a suggested "room tempurature" (read: not a cold room temperature which allows non-beneficial bacteria to grow) and no direct sunlight.  The process converts the sugars in the veggies (suggested by ColdSmoke) into alcohol and Co2 gasses which give the mash a rise and which the gasses are allowed to escape through a Vodka filled air lock.

The fermentation process takes the {raw} taste of hot peppers and * m-e-l-l-o-w-s * the flavors which is the desired result for all your efforts!

Here is a website I have been passing around to help with fermentation, salt, etc.  Especially take a look at "Measuring and Using Salt in Fermentation."  By weight is important.

http://fermentationrecipes.com/

Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the quick replies people....Chiltepin I use a wet brine for my many ferments and have never had any issues ...2 tblsp coarse pickling salt to 1 cup filtered water...I was just wondering if the Caldwell's would work and save me the trouble of messing around collecting whey..You do offer excellent information and will bookmark that link....you can never have enough knowledge....again thanks for everyone's input

All great info guys......just got a package in the mail today and I am going to hit the freezer this weekend for some peppers and try this culture from Cutting Edge Cultures....just to see how quick it starts the fermentation process.

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

Back