• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Deer/Venison

Next weekend the rut should be in full swing if the weather cooperates. been too warm during the week to hang deer around here so I have passed on hunting opportunities to this point. November however is a good month to harvest lots of deer.

I got tons of venison in the freezer that with the addition of a couple or more new acquisitions will meet the grinder for sausage and jerky / some hot. I will be in the market shortly for a nice smoker to do just that.
My wife got me an early Christmas present in the form of a vacuum sealer. Cant wait to put it to use as well.

More to the original point. Deer /Venison.

Dressing, butchering, cuts and use, aging, processing, jerky, sausage, preparing and cooking, recipes, And everything under the sun.

I bow hunt here in Illinois and am very particular in the care of my deer from shot placement to the fork. I butcher and process my game myself and in doing so, know exactly the quality and taste to expect when it is served. I take particular care in wrapping the meat for long term storage using one layer of saran wrap followed by butcher paper. I have venison in the freezer that is 3 years old and is virtually no difference than that from last years deer.

I have much more to add as the thread progresses.

What say you?

Yes,November is always a good time to fill the freezer.I remember one year bow hunting here was so hot,that I pass on taking a deer.They were so many,that walked by. I could only hunt those days it was on public land. :banghead:

I miss it back there grew up in Jamestown Tenn and Muncie Ind, Living here In Southern Cali kinda sucks for hunting really for Bow hunting for some reason they make it tuff for bow hunters only on the second Sunday after a full moon kinda crap (Not Literally lol)

My kid has been on me to teach him I told him we will only bow hunt to me that's sport. Been doing some research on areas to hunt here looks like Catalina Island has Deer and boar I guess you can even get Bison with a special permit but need to call because when reading up on it everything was Gun and nothing bow. any way about to buy my 15 year old his 1st bow.

You will put that vacuum sealer to good use. I vacuum sealed the meat from both of the deer I harvested last year and it has kept them great in the freezer. It is good too for when you make jerky. I finished some last week and vacuum sealed them in smaller portion sizes for when we go hunting in a few weeks.

Good luck with your hunt this year.

Gargoyle91 said:
I miss it back there grew up in Jamestown Tenn and Muncie Ind, Living here In Southern Cali kinda sucks for hunting really for Bow hunting for some reason they make it tuff for bow hunters only on the second Sunday after a full moon kinda crap (Not Literally lol)

My kid has been on me to teach him I told him we will only bow hunt to me that's sport. Been doing some research on areas to hunt here looks like Catalina Island has Deer and boar I guess you can even get Bison with a special permit but need to call because when reading up on it everything was Gun and nothing bow. any way about to buy my 15 year old his 1st bow.
PSE bows
tctenten said:
You will put that vacuum sealer to good use. I vacuum sealed the meat from both of the deer I harvested last year and it has kept them great in the freezer. It is good too for when you make jerky. I finished some last week and vacuum sealed them in smaller portion sizes for when we go hunting in a few weeks.

Good luck with your hunt this year.
Much thanks Terry, I was hoping someone would chime in on vacuum sealed freezer venison and how well it worked. Freezer burn has never been an issue and I dont want it to be one now. Good luck to your season as well!

CAPCOM said:
PSE

Much thanks Terry, I was hoping someone would chime in on vacuum sealed freezer venison and how well it worked. Freezer burn has never been an issue and I dont want it to be one now. Good luck to your season as well!

My wife has one of the Vacuum sealers and man you can store anything forever with these things. Shes getting pissed at me for using all her bags making MRE's just in case the world ends :)

Best day ever in the field! 2 Bucks down within 30 minutes, 7:35 and 7:55 respectively.

20151114_133153.jpg

I'll have to see what I did with my grandmothers venison stroganof recipe. By far the best I've ever had. Deer this side of shitcagoland is hit or miss flavor wise. Every year I say i'm going to go out but never do. Really want the wife to taste some good venison. Every time she tried it in the past it was too gamy for her. 

Where I hunt there are lots of AG crops, bean and corn. That aids in good tasting venison. But proper care from shot to freezer is most imoprtant. I have yet to have a gamey harvest.

A friend of mine went hunting a few weeks ago. He only wanted the rack so I got the meat. I took it to a local processor and ended up with 65 lbs of various sausages,(brats, mets, italian sausage, Veni-Sticks, summer sausage), chops, roasts,jerky and of course plenty of ground venison.

Ocho Cinco said:
A friend of mine went hunting a few weeks ago. He only wanted the rack so I got the meat. I took it to a local processor and ended up with 65 lbs of various sausages,(brats, mets, italian sausage, Veni-Sticks, summer sausage), chops, roasts,jerky and of course plenty of ground venison.
I process all my game on my own and would never take it to a commercial processor. in most cases you do not get the deer back that you brought in and because of that, all the care and effort you put into some great tasting venison goes out the window. In my case, I know exactly what I have from first bite to last.

I still have venison in the freezer from 2012 and it is still awesome.

CAPCOM said:
I process all my game on my own and would never take it to a commercial processor. in most cases you do not get the deer back that you brought in and because of that, all the care and effort you put into some great tasting venison goes out the window. In my case, I know exactly what I have from first bite to last.

I still have venison in the freezer from 2012 and it is still awesome.

True.Those commercial processor might give you a buck instead of a doe. :doh: Some of them take the good meat for their self. :think: It happen to me.I will never take a deer,hog are anything else to one of them ever again. :shame: Those are some good looking deer you got there. They will make some good table fare. :drunk:  

pepperguy1 said:
True.Those commercial processor might give you a buck instead of a doe. :doh: Some of them take the good meat for their self. :think: It happen to me.I will never take a deer,hog are anything else to one of them ever again. :shame: Those are some good looking deer you got there. They will make some good table fare. :drunk:
They bank on the hunters ignorance and love it when they (and I dont know why anyone would) are told to grind everything. You will never get your well deserved backstraps. You'll get lb for lb scrap meat for prime mean.

I just butchered a buck yesterday. We had backstraps for dinner last night, and I'm going to start on some summer snausage later today.

Back