• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Jeff H's salsa verde

A few weeks ago I had a freezer full of tomatillos and I needed a recipe for salsa verde to make them go away to make room for things like Puerto Rican beans, chili and chard soup. I looked on the interwebz and only seemed to be finding silly little foo-foo recipes like this one: http://www.inspiredtaste.net/901/roasted-tomatillo-salsa-salsa-verde/ Be careful with that ONE serrano pepper. lol f**king hoser...
    I needed a real recipe. Something hot. Something scaled up enough to warrant canning. Something flavorful. Something THP...
     Lo and behold, just then Jeff H mentioned in his status that he had just canned a metric shit-ton of salsa verde. BINGO! The search was over. I asked for it, he posted.

HM01- I made this recipe 5 times. Substitute peppers to get the heat you want. 
5 cups chopped tomatillos
1-½ cups seeded, chopped long green chiles
½ cup seeded, finely chopped jalapeño peppers
4 cups chopped onions
1 cup bottled lemon or lime juice
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground cumin (optional)
3 tablespoons dried oregano leaves (optional)
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

It's one thing to just take a pansy recipe like the one linked above and scale it up, add a few pounds of jalapeños and call it good. But when canning, doing so might throw off the pH and render it no longer shelf stable. I guess I could add more lime to account for that, but how much? Why reinvent the wheel? 
     My thinking was that if Jeff made this recipe 5 times, it has probably already gone through a few rounds of trial and error for flavor, ph and heat. That's not to say I didn't make a few alterations the first time, though (I always do when making a recipe the first time...). But this recipe gave me a great place to start. Standing on the shoulders of giants...
     Thanks, again Jeff!

The finished product
IMG_0527_zpsuiheh7up.jpg

One more drool-inducer
IMG_0528_zps5sapbrls.jpg

Back