• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

2016 garden will you have more or less peppers ?

Next year are you planning to grow more pepper varieties or less ?

I'm planning to focus on chocolates and baccatums with some jalapeno and a couple super hots. I will also be growing different varieties of some bell type peppers from the middle east. I have over a 120 pepper plants this season and will be cutting that in half. I will be using larger containers next season to grow larger more productive plants.

I am cutting back too. Had just over 100 this year and it was too much. On the containers, I had mostly 10 and 15 gallon root pouches. If I were to buy more I would go with the 15 gallons. I did have a 25 gallon and that plant was noticeably bigger.

I will be growing a lot more varieties, but not necessarily that many more plants. This year was my first grow, so I was going through the learning curve. I had the newbie desire to grow extremely super hot peppers (which I got no fruit from in the end), things started late, weather on my side of the globe was terrible etc. 

Next year I will have a lot more, especially baccatums, and also from all other sub species. The hottest peppers will probably be habs and SB's, maybe a fatalii. Variety will be key, one plants per type.

Another factor on my peppers from this year is a neighbor who just moved last week gave me 60 plants (50 carribean reds and 10 thai). So that really limited the other plants I was hoping to grow this year. Next season the only CR's I will be growing is whatever survives the winter in ground and in my containers.

Our  weather here was crazy this year. :doh:I lost everything to it and the bugs. :mope:  :tear: I am going big next year.On the good side of things, there are some peppers come up now. :party:​ Just don't what type they are?  :think:

pepperguy1 said:
Our  weather here was crazy this year. :doh:I lost everything to it and the bugs. :mope:  :tear: I am going big next year.On the good side of things, there are some peppers come up now. :party:​ Just don't what type they are?  :think:
in Florida you can grow all year long correct ?

I've found my sweet spot is around 25 plants.  That seems to work pretty well for me.  Not too many peppers at the end of the season, and my wife isn't pissed about the garden taking over the yard.  I'll probably grow somewhere around 15 - 18 varieties.

I had between 80 and 90 this year. I need to cut that back some, but there're so many new ones (to me) I want to try. I think I'm going to just use containers next year, but bigger ones. It's easier to maintain on my drip system. 

I had 86 plants this year with room for more.... not sure. Part of me says more part says less. There's quite a few getting cut from next years grow but then there's the crosses and new varieties I want to grow out so I could very well end up with more. 

I do know i'm growing more paper lantern, baha goats and moa bonnets as those where some of my favorites from this year. 

I plan on growing 1 of each Chinense variety I have, except the Aji Limo, which I will grow 3 of. Same for the Baccatums, 1 of each, except the Aji Amarillo, which I will grow 3 of. I will be growing 2 of every Pubescens variety I have. I don't plan on growing any Annuums. Total plants should be around 45.

oldsalty said:
I had 25 all told will bring it down to 15_18 plants better control. Growing more vegetables next year have to make some room. Adding two additional raised beds. Not sure which varieties have to talk with juanitos :)
Me too more veggies, more raised beds and somewhere between 50-75 pepper plants.

Next year the plan is to only grow peppers that actually taste good.  I tried a bunch of butch T crosses and they tasted like soap.  Incredibly hot but useless otherwise.  Had 9 last year, going for 22 next year (plus 5 OW), all from seed started in January indoors.  Going to stick with chocolate morugas, reapers, Primo X, and my own F1 cross (a primo x choco hab).  Such a waste of time when you wait and wait for peppers and they don't taste good.  Heat isn't everything! 

I won't really know until next year. I have good intentions every year, they just don't always work out the way I think they should at the end of the prior year. Right now my thoughts are to only grow two varieties, but have about the same number of plants as I have now. We'll see how it really turns out!

Back