Need heating recommendation for still.

Hi all. I'm about to order a 5 gal copper still for making ummm fuel ;). Once the still arrives I'll get the appropriate license.

Now that the legal stuff is out of the way, I need to choose a heating element. I'd rather stay away from propane, because winters in CT are cold and my basement is warmer than outside. I have two options for electric, an immersion heater and a hot plate. The immersion seems like it would be a PITA to mount and wire to the pretty copper still. That leaves me with a hot plate.

I'm looking at a commercial grade one in the 1500 to 2000 watt range. I'd like to spend < $200.

So my questions are:

Does a hot plate sound like a good idea given my situation or should I reconsider?

What brand/model do you guys recommend?

Anything I'm missing here?

Thanks for helping a newb! :)

JohnsMyName said:
Hi all. 

John I'd love to see this thread turn into a F(uel) Log wherein your initial journey is documented for others to watch and learn from.  I harbor my own secret basement still desires, but have gone through what I'm sure is same/similar issues with location/assets/open flame, etc.  Would like to have something to inspire/inform/follow along to, and being able to witness your discovery of such would be prime.  

lol no pressure tho ;)

wheebz said:
I always saw electric immersion as the best solution other than steam.

I know that's likely the best for evenness and controllability, but I'm a little leery of attaching and dealing with wires on the copper still.  :cry:

JohnsMyName said:

I know that's likely the best for evenness and controllability, but I'm a little leery of attaching and dealing with wires on the copper still.  :cry:
If you look at how they're set up everything is grounded. Check out the kettle wiring at: www.theelectricbrewery.com they show you exactly how to do it.

Hot plates can take a long time to heat your mash up. I would look for the highest wattage possible and definitely put a short length of SS chain in your still for a boil break.

Back