• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

hobbies Soap

Was running low on soap so made some yesterday

2L Olive Oil
200gr Coconut Oil
90gr Coco butter
600ml water
303gr Lye
1oz TeeTree Oil
1 Heaping tablespoon turmeric.
Dry for couple months
:)

PB065434_TurmericTeaTreeSoap-1000_zpsw8j9yjbr.jpg

Do you use a special "soap mold" or just something lying around the house?

Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about making soap.

I use those silicon Bread pans, that way its easy to extract, then after 24hours ( have to go by touch) I cut with a knife.
I used to use a wooden frame and made a large slab, but that was a pain in cutting evenly, now I just use them to dry the bars. Buying "Soap Molds" is expensive so this was a cheap and east to use.

PB181991_SoapMolds-1000_zps6k7xum07.jpg

PB268337_SoapSeaBuckthornBoth-1000_zps785a4b78.jpg

Always wondered if there's something you can do with those little left over bars of soap?  You know .... after the big bar gets down to that little strip of cracked looking stuff.  Also, how about those little hotel soaps .... Can you melt those down and pour into a mold to make new bars?  Maybe grate it before you melt it?  Just wondering.  

dragonsfire said:
My yearly Soap making Day :)

Olive Oil
Coconut Oil
Coco Butter
Shea Butter
Lanolin
Lye

For Scent
Vanilla oil and coco powder.

Wait 24 hours before cutting.

I bet that smells good.  Does the scent remain after rinsing off?  We make our own soap and have found that unless we use lots of fragrance oils that the scent rinses off.  (only smell it while washing)
Can you post your percentages?

Harry_Dangler said:
Always wondered if there's something you can do with those little left over bars of soap?  
Tybo said:
Does the scent remain after rinsing off? 

Yup, shave them and mix into a new batch or blitz and make liquid soap.

yup, mild after scent, depends how much you put in and if its natural or chemical, the cheap chemical version will stick strongly.

I ran out of Olive oil , normally use 2000mls

P62nC5m.jpg

Back