vendor Baker Creek Heirloom seeds

I've used their seeds for 5-6 years with good results. Mostly tomato's and a few peppers. They are the main supporter and promoter of the National Heirloom seed expo.

The only bad thing I've heard about them is military people don't like, Jere. Jere is a hippy who doesn't care for the US military is my understanding.

I've also ordered from Baker Creek and never had any issues. Never heard the thing about military people before, although I do know that they are kinda sorta back to earth types (neither good nor bad in my lowly opinion). I would not hesitate to order from them again if I didn't have so many damned seeds already. Cheerz !!

Never heard anything I would consider anti-military from Jere. If the claim can be substantiated I'd like to know about it (being a veteran).
That said, all seed I've received from Bakers Creek in the past grew true.

mlh5953 said:
Never heard anything I would consider anti-military from Jere. If the claim can be substantiated I'd like to know about it (being a veteran).

I'm not trying to open a can of worms here. The way I see it, I'm buying seeds for my garden from him. Does he provide a good service and quality seeds? yes. So should I give a shit about his political views when I'm just trying to get good seeds? No, IMO.

mlh5953 said:

It was on his idig forum years back 2010.  A certain comment he made.  I think this is it.    f.y.i. He doesn't own idig anymore.

Jere Gettle wrote:I guess I am too conservative.... to pay for a bunch of restless youths to be sent on dangerous "field trips" to look for "monsters to destroy" especially when they run our country into hundreds of billions of dollars in debt, just in case Saddam might have a naughty weapon, like may be some old Agent Orange that Monsanto had left over.

He was so dangerous, I mean every Muslim leader that let's Christian's worship freely must be hiding something? Right? I mean he even tried to defend his country, that just can't be tolerated, did not he know that the Grand Dubya had spoken?

-Billions Charged
If Jere meant something other than what folks I know are interpreting this statement as(which includes family members) I really wish he had just come out and said so.To me it comes out as disrespecting our soldiers that have to follow orders that come from Washington. And if he can say that it was not meant that way and explain what he meant was otherwise that he did not mean any disrespect than I owe him an apology. But to me and others it is dissing our soldiers.That I will not stand for.

Kevin

Here is another post of Jere apologizing.

Sorry for the miss-understanding, It was surely not my intention to dishonor our military. If fact my dad and uncles are Vietnam war veterans. I feel it is such a waste to injure and destroy these young life's, when instead they could actually be protecting us rather than searching for some contrived "Monster" to destroy for the sake of political and financial benefit of the ruling classes. I also feel the need to bring down the national debt and like Ron Paul feel the need of reducing our military's budget. Keeping those kids home would be a honer to the military.

Sorry Kevin, I just take a dim view on war, but I love the troops, in fact we often send seeds to the troops in various places and have gotten many great letters from them! Many like I also feel this war is useless, inhumane and about oil.

I am sorry about the point of youths, but have you ever noticed the percent of youths that are killed? Why don't we send the people that make the war to the front line, the old guys? I think it would reduce the amount of war if our politicians had to go.

Don't leave Kevin, just call me a liberal nut-case or something, and stick around!

roper2008 said:

It was on his idig forum years back 2010.  A certain comment he made.  I think this is it.    f.y.i. He doesn't own idig anymore.

Jere Gettle wrote:I guess I am too conservative.... to pay for a bunch of restless youths to be sent on dangerous "field trips" to look for "monsters to destroy" especially when they run our country into hundreds of billions of dollars in debt, just in case Saddam might have a naughty weapon, like may be some old Agent Orange that Monsanto had left over.

He was so dangerous, I mean every Muslim leader that let's Christian's worship freely must be hiding something? Right? I mean he even tried to defend his country, that just can't be tolerated, did not he know that the Grand Dubya had spoken?

-Billions Charged
If Jere meant something other than what folks I know are interpreting this statement as(which includes family members) I really wish he had just come out and said so.To me it comes out as disrespecting our soldiers that have to follow orders that come from Washington. And if he can say that it was not meant that way and explain what he meant was otherwise that he did not mean any disrespect than I owe him an apology. But to me and others it is dissing our soldiers.That I will not stand for.

Kevin

Here is another post of Jere apologizing.

Sorry for the miss-understanding, It was surely not my intention to dishonor our military. If fact my dad and uncles are Vietnam war veterans. I feel it is such a waste to injure and destroy these young life's, when instead they could actually be protecting us rather than searching for some contrived "Monster" to destroy for the sake of political and financial benefit of the ruling classes. I also feel the need to bring down the national debt and like Ron Paul feel the need of reducing our military's budget. Keeping those kids home would be a honer to the military.

Sorry Kevin, I just take a dim view on war, but I love the troops, in fact we often send seeds to the troops in various places and have gotten many great letters from them! Many like I also feel this war is useless, inhumane and about oil.

I am sorry about the point of youths, but have you ever noticed the percent of youths that are killed? Why don't we send the people that make the war to the front line, the old guys? I think it would reduce the amount of war if our politicians had to go.

Don't leave Kevin, just call me a liberal nut-case or something, and stick around!

Yep Roper, that is the conversation as I remember it.

Everyone has the right to buy anything they want from anywhere they want. I haven't, nor will I ever send a dime to Jere for making these comments. It's just me and my beliefs. 

As roper mentioned Idig is no longer owned by Jere.

I'm a old disabled vet, but I don't let personal beliefs bother me, I have gotten seeds from him since he first moved to MO.  and never had any problems. He has lots of Heirloom peppers and a couple of the super hot peppers and many other veggies, I plan to order from him again.
George W.

Placed my first order with them, seeds came in perfect conditions and, omg, there were about 40 in every package!!!

Great selection of seeds and low prices, thumbs up for this company! ;)

PS Freebies were included

Roberto

First time using baker creek this year for my garden. I got mostly other veggies but saw that they carried Bhut and scorpion, so I figured why not supplement my pepper grow as well.

Shipped fast via ups surepost in a padded envelope.

I busted into the peppers today to get them started the scorpion package had 9 seeds, so that was kind of a bummer, hopefully they'll all germ.

The Bhut package had about 30 seeds so props for that!

All of The seed packets I got were marked for 2016 grow season, good to know they aren't selling old seeds.

I'll definitely do business with them again for veggies, their pepper selection is lacking but I wasn't really expecting to buy peppers from them anyway. Also the package shipped with free sunflower seeds.

Nightcrawler said:
First time using baker creek this year for my garden. I got mostly other veggies but saw that they carried Bhut and scorpion, so I figured why not supplement my pepper grow as well.

Shipped fast via ups surepost in a padded envelope.

I busted into the peppers today to get them started the scorpion package had 9 seeds, so that was kind of a bummer, hopefully they'll all germ.

The Bhut package had about 30 seeds so props for that!

All of The seed packets I got were marked for 2016 grow season, good to know they aren't selling old seeds.

I'll definitely do business with them again for veggies, their pepper selection is lacking but I wasn't really expecting to buy peppers from them anyway. Also the package shipped with free sunflower seeds.

They give away a bunch of their two year old seeds at the expo every year, they'll give away a shit ton of 2014 seeds this year. And they still have excellent germ rates. When paying for seeds from them, I've never seen anything more than a year old. Also if you contact them about the short pack of scorpion seeds, I'd bet dollars to donuts they'll make good on it free of charge.

hogleg said:

They give away a bunch of their two year old seeds at the expo every year, they'll give away a shit ton of 2014 seeds this year. And they still have excellent germ rates. When paying for seeds from them, I've never seen anything more than a year old. Also if you contact them about the short pack of scorpion seeds, I'd bet dollars to donuts they'll make good on it free of charge.
I'm not concerned about 1 seed short really. It's funny though we know we're paying for ten, but it's so rare to actually get only ten. They definitely have a great selection of veg seeds! I'm psyched to try some of the varieties I picked up. Should be a good garden year!

Back