• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Huli Huli Chicken Recipe?

Hey braddah!!! Definitely shoot Organic Pepper a pm he makes da kine Huli Huli chicken!! True authentic recipe.
And one true brother!!! He'll hook you up proper. If you want the real deal. Truly amazing chef!!
Give him a holler brother!! :)
Cheers

I was going to do this for a TD in the recent past ...

They traditionally make an in-ground oven called an imu ...

Wrapping the meat in banana leaves, and even, actual banana peels ...

The seasoning is ginger, garlic, and red salt ... marinade in Huli Huli sauce ...

That what I recall from my research, anyways ...

:cheers:

Rj I'd never heard of huli huli chicken till you posted asking about it.  I copied the recipe from amazing ribs (altered with my own flair, mostly a bit more spice) and cooked it on the weber tonight.  Here are the results. 

64kuig.jpg

Sorry pics not great, but the family loved it and we'll be making it again.  Thanks for the inspiration friend.  :)

SmokenFire said:
Rj I'd never heard of huli huli chicken till you posted asking about it.  I copied the recipe from amazing ribs (altered with my own flair, mostly a bit more spice) and cooked it on the weber tonight.  Here are the results. 

64kuig.jpg

Sorry pics not great, but the family loved it and we'll be making it again.  Thanks for the inspiration friend.  :)
Wow smoke that looks fantastic!!!!!! Tried to take a bite but chipped my tooth!!!! Hahaha

Man, good memories...First you'd smell it, then you'd look for the smoke billowing up from some parking lot. Kids raising money for this or that. Last time I had some good huli-huli chicken was in Maui a few years back. Some blahlahs on the side of the road at Kamaole serving up some of the best I've had.
-
As for the recipes, there are tons of them out there. All a little different but same general theme. I just throw mine together and don't measure...It varies from time to time depending on what I have on hand. Stay away from foodnetwork and the commercialized nonsense glomming onto to this tradition (Guy Fieri just needs to freakin stop already) and stick to small write ups here and there from local island websites.
-
You'll see a recipe that fits what you have in mind...only tips I can give you is marinate overnight, baste a lot and use mesquite (closest you're going to get to Kiawe).
-

Huli Huli chicken
Ingredients
4 chicken quarters
salt and pepper to taste
about a half cup of Mesquite smoking chips (optional)
Marinade
¾ cup pineapple juice or 6 fl. oz. can
½ cup soy sauce (Shoyu or Japanese soy sauce preferred)
¼ cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
¼ cup sesame oil
¼ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground ginger
3 garlic cloves, smashed
Huli Huli Sauce
¾ cup pineapple juice or 6 fl. oz. can
½ cup ketchup
½ cup soy sauce (Shoyu or Japanese soy sauce preferred)
1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons ground ginger
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
Instructions
Wash and trim any excess fat from chicken quarters. Pat dry.
In a non-reactive mixing bowl, combine marinade ingredients. Whisk well.
Place chicken in a resealable freezer bag. Add the marinade and seal bag. Place bag on a baking dish and place in refrigerator. Allow to marinate for 4 to 6 hours. Turn every couple of hours.
Remove chicken from the marinade and pat dry. Discard marinade. Season both sides with salt and pepper and return to the refrigerator until ready to grill.
In a sauce pan, add Huli Huli sauce ingredients and blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a low simmer. Continue to cook until sauce thickens.
Prepare a grill for two heat zone cooking with a temperature of 325℉.
Place chicken on the cooler side of the grill and replace cover. Cook for about 15 minutes.
Turn chicken and brush the top side with the sauce. Replace grill lid and cook for another 10 minutes.
Continue to turn and baste every 10 minutes until an instant-read meat thermometer reads 165℉.
Move chicken directly over the fire and sear, turning every 2 minutes being careful to not burn the sauce. Once the thermometer reads 170℉, remove from grill.
Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Baste chicken once again and serve with any remaining sauce on the side.
Notes
For more authentic flavor, use fresh ginger and pineapple juice, dark brown sugar and of course, Shoyu.

Hope this works!! :)
stock-vector-hula-dancing-cartoon-chicken-155620910.jpg
or try hula chicken :)

I like the write-up that explains huli huli. That's exactly what we did back in the day before automation. 2 guys yelling huli at each other.
Nowadays it's an electric motor using a chain to turn a series of bicycle sprockets welded to stainless rods with custom stainless brackets to hold whole chickens.
Just another take on rotisserie chicken....or is it?

Recipes are as many as there are families who cook. Some like to simple brine overnight and then dry rub the next morning and baste with the sauce as it's cooking. Others marinate in the sauce overnight and baste while cooking. Then there are those that just dry rub and let it sit overnight before cooking, serving sauce with the finished bird.

Main ingredients for sauce are:
Soy sauce
Vinegar
Sugar
Pineapple or orange juice
Garlic
Ginger
Sesame oil.
chili pepper

There really is no wrong way to do it as long as you enjoy doing it.
The best tasting foods in Hawaii are because so much Aloha goes into the process
A few cold beers while cooking doesn't hurt either :beer:

Hawaiianero said:
There really is no wrong way to do it as long as you enjoy doing it.
The best tasting foods in Hawaii are because so much Aloha goes into the process
A few cold beers while cooking doesn't hurt either :beer:

Soooo true!

Back