• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Why have my seedlings stopped growing?

These seedlings are 3 weeks old and haven't grown in the last 1 and a half weeks (I take photo's of them every day).
Conditions of growth:
-Temperature: Low 20's (I know this isn't ideal)
-Humidity: (Not an issue)
-Soil composition: 25% perlite, 75% seed raising mix
-Definitely not overwatered or dried out
-8 hours of sunlight per day (sometimes cloudy all day though)
-They have been sprayed with nutrients once a few days ago

This has happened every time I have tried to grow peppers and clearly there is a variable that is causing this. Is temperature significant enough to do this? It's been cold recently

http://imgur.com/gvXYbbM

If you mean low 20s F then that is solidly below freezing and that is clearly a problem. If you mean C then that is high 60s / low 70s F and that is the temperature range I have been growing in. If you are growing indoors then maybe more light would be helpful. That was why I bought special light bulbs for growing plants.

Inedible said:
If you mean low 20s F then that is solidly below freezing and that is clearly a problem. If you mean C then that is high 60s / low 70s F and that is the temperature range I have been growing in. If you are growing indoors then maybe more light would be helpful. That was why I bought special light bulbs for growing plants.
They've actually been growing outside in Sydney, which at the moment ranges 21C-26C (69F-78F) as a daily max this time of year. If you're successfully growing them like that it must be another issue. They get enough light. I'm wondering if its to do with pH or something. I can't work out why.

Have you popped them out their tray to check the roots? I have noticed that when i put them into a bigger pot they take off.

cruzzfish said:
I grow seedlings with less perlite and less nutrients. They also stay around that size for a while though, then they suddenly take off.
^^Yep this. Your temp range is fine for the day. They'll take off soon enough. The first couple sets of leaves take a while. I always find if I look at them or check them too often they grow slower too! ;-)

This is my third year growing peppers in Sydney and in my first year I experienced the exact same scenario with pepper seedlings (chinense).
I started the seeds indoors and kept them near a window with around 6 hours sunlight.
The first true leaves sprouted and then no growth whatsoever.
I waited a few weeks and still no growth; the seedlings stunted.
I pulled the seedlings out and found hardly any root growth at all.
So I started again and this time in addition to the natural sunlight, from around 7pm to 5am I put the seedlings under a single 4000k 36W T8 fluorescent.
Within a week I saw results; the seedlings were greener and definitely growing.
I kept the watering to once a week - from the top and lightly mixed with Seasol.
I also ditched the seed raising mix. I used a bag of potting mix and added perlite - 1:1 ratio.

I now use a T8 fluorescent fixture which has two 36W 6500K tubes and works a treat (tubes easily found at Bunnings for $5.50 a pair).
I tried using CFLs but they produce a fair bit of heat and when put close to small seedlings the leaves would curl up; they didn't seem to like it much.
Annums take off very quickly, chinense take their time but get their eventually.
Once the fourth true leaves develop I permanently transfer the seedlings outside where they receive morning sun till 11am and then mostly shade - hardening off period.
A couple weeks later they will go into their final pots.

Have noticed there is what seems to be a stall after they first show themselves.  I have never started from seed with less than 12 hours of light a day. Maybe less than 12 hours furthers the stall.  I -think- their native sun is about 12 a day.  Never checked, but seems the closer one is to the equator the closer they are to equal day / night lengths.

My guess is they will be fine, but do check on night temperatures. 

They're still growing..... under the soil. They're working on developing a strong root system. Taking pictures of them daily is overkill and will disappoint you. Try once a week. Patience, grasshopper. Once the roots are well established (it can take up to a month or so), your seedlings will take off. Try not to "love" them too much in the meantime. Remember, plants grow in nature all the time without our "help".

rising_fast said:
This is my third year growing peppers in Sydney and in my first year I experienced the exact same scenario with pepper seedlings (chinense).
I started the seeds indoors and kept them near a window with around 6 hours sunlight.
The first true leaves sprouted and then no growth whatsoever.
I waited a few weeks and still no growth; the seedlings stunted.
I pulled the seedlings out and found hardly any root growth at all.
So I started again and this time in addition to the natural sunlight, from around 7pm to 5am I put the seedlings under a single 4000k 36W T8 fluorescent.
Within a week I saw results; the seedlings were greener and definitely growing.
I kept the watering to once a week - from the top and lightly mixed with Seasol.
I also ditched the seed raising mix. I used a bag of potting mix and added perlite - 1:1 ratio.

I now use a T8 fluorescent fixture which has two 36W 6500K tubes and works a treat (tubes easily found at Bunnings for $5.50 a pair).
I tried using CFLs but they produce a fair bit of heat and when put close to small seedlings the leaves would curl up; they didn't seem to like it much.
Annums take off very quickly, chinense take their time but get their eventually.
Once the fourth true leaves develop I permanently transfer the seedlings outside where they receive morning sun till 11am and then mostly shade - hardening off period.
A couple weeks later they will go into their final pots.
How long did they spend under the fluorescent light when they first germinated, and the weeks after?
Pixel_Ninja said:
Have you popped them out their tray to check the roots? I have noticed that when i put them into a bigger pot they take off.
The roots aren't near the bottom or sides of cup, still tiny, about an inch long.

sam.wilkinson said:
How long did they spend under the fluorescent light when they first germinated, and the weeks after?

As soon as the seeds germinate I put them near a sunny window where they receive approximately 5-6 hours of sunlight.
At night I put the seedlings under fluorescent light from around 7pm-5am (this isn't religious though), but more often than not they receive 10 hours of artificial light.
This continues everyday until the seedlings have fully grown their 4th true leaves and the 5th true leaves are poking through.
From there they will go outside and stay there throughout their lives.
I don't claim for this method to be gospel but it works for me.

I'd get them close to a 5500k - 6500k fluro .. 16hours a day .. bottom water the cups, and dont add any nutes.. Sedlings can handle a much moister medium until they start to get 4-5 sets of leaves.. I try to kee them on the wetter side of moist. If they start stalling and going yellow and brittle, change them out to a clean batch of potting mix.. give them a fresh soak and watch them... if you want to help them leave buckets of water in the sun to get rid of chlorine and use that to feed them,

Back