• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Wasn't expectin

So this year i planted about 20x as many varieties of peppers that i did the previous year. And although i did order quite a few from Pepperlover.com and Fordsfieryfoods.com I always seemed to get almost as many freebies as what i ordered. So as the pepper lover i am i planted all of em. From Bisbas to Reaper. and now that im growing them i wish i had done a little research. My Aji Amarillo plants are getting tall (fast) they are easily dwarfing every other pepper plant i have right now growing in both size and speed. (My morugas are fatter but shorties) So i was wondering. How tall do these aji amarillos typically get? How prolific are they when they are mature. And are they viable for potted growth (Ill move the plants outside in the spring but keep them in pots.)

Yes, many of the Aji Long Peppers grow that way (Aji Amarillo, Aji Santa Cruz, Aji Ahuachapau) You will need to stake them or cage them to keep them from falling over. They are very productive throughout the season and mine get about 4 ft in pots or the ground. The plus side, they taste great!

I made the same mistake. Started everything indoors at the same time. I had never grown Aji and others like it before, only chinense. I had to cut them back 3 or 4 times before plant out as they kept growing up into the t8s. All Ajis went directly into the ground and were very productive. More bush like than tall and each loaded with hundreds of pods. Didn't try any in pots but don't know why they wouldn't grow well in them.

Your plants are still alive in Ottawa?  I'm not that much further north and frost got all my babies 2-3 weeks ago...

SmokenFire said:
Your plants are still alive in Ottawa?  I'm not that much further north and frost got all my babies 2-3 weeks ago...
i'm 15 miles south of him and i got 7 containers still growing , brainstrains,  long ch. scorpion, red infinity .  i'm really surprised myself !      :onfire:

Aji Amarillos get very tall and leggy, if you let them. They are very productive, but you have to start the seeds very early in the season, like January in the NE U.S. to get really good results. Mine grew to about 3 feet in 5 gallon pots, and 5 feet in the ground this year. I OW'd my 3 best amarillo plants for next year, and their trunks literally look like trees. They would probably hit 6' next year in the ground with cages, but I'm going to plant them in 5 gallon pots, since that will provide as many pods as I will need for the year, and give me garden space for my other peppers.

Disappointed in my AJI crop.  Planted 2 varieties of Aji Amarillos (had 6 plants total) and all got to 6 feet plus in cages but poor production and ripening.  The stifling heat and humidity seems to be too much in my Zone for them.  Leafs seemed to not like heat at all and stayed crumpled all season.  I'm blaming it on the heat coz I really don't know what affected them..  My other fifty or so plants did very well however.    

I had a Brazilian Starfish and Aji Verde in 3 gal pots and they grew well, even being in small containers, between 4 and 5 feet. They put out lots of pods. It was hard to keep them upright. I gave up trying and eventually let them flop over onto other plants and grow sideways.

rkempston said:
So this year i planted about 20x as many varieties of peppers that i did the previous year. And although i did order quite a few from Pepperlover.com and Fordsfieryfoods.com I always seemed to get almost as many freebies as what i ordered. So as the pepper lover i am i planted all of em. From Bisbas to Reaper. and now that im growing them i wish i had done a little research. My Aji Amarillo plants are getting tall (fast) they are easily dwarfing every other pepper plant i have right now growing in both size and speed. (My morugas are fatter but shorties) So i was wondering. How tall do these aji amarillos typically get? How prolific are they when they are mature. And are they viable for potted growth (Ill move the plants outside in the spring but keep them in pots.)
I can't wait to try the Aji Amarillo seeds you're sending me. I'll start them next month to get a head start here in the tundra

Streamer said:
Disappointed in my AJI crop.  Planted 2 varieties of Aji Amarillos (had 6 plants total) and all got to 6 feet plus in cages but poor production and ripening.  The stifling heat and humidity seems to be too much in my Zone for them.  Leafs seemed to not like heat at all and stayed crumpled all season.  I'm blaming it on the heat coz I really don't know what affected them..  My other fifty or so plants did very well however.    

AH your killin me.  I got 2 varieties of Aji to grow here in Dallas next year and was hoping they would do well.  Im planning to put up shade cloth over all of my beds since my back yard has no natural shade save for my fence!

Back