beer D3's Newb Brew

First home brew attempt ever. Special thanks to the kindness of tctenten for hooking me up with a micro brew kit and to grant for answering all my questions and the million future questions that will be asked. 

Got most my supplies together.

I swore we had a large stainless pot but I couldn't find it anywhere. My 3 gallon aluminum tamale pot is going to have to do. It's only ever had a few inches of water in it so i'm boiling a few gallons through it before doing the mash. 

Taking a small beer break before I start on the mash. 

Ozzy2001 said:
Woot! The aluminum pot will be fine as long as it's the disused. I'm using my old turkey fryer pot noodle until I get my keggle ready.

I pointed him to JP's How to Brew on FB earlier re: passivation ...

D3 - move the sock around in there once every 15 along the way so you hit gravity ...

I use the nylon one's over ... they last a while ... in fact, I just tossed the hop-sized one away earlier today after a dozen batches ...

They clean up nicely w/ some oxyclean ...

Also, they aren't used post-boil, so they don't need to be fully sanitized per se ...

So ... how are you chilling the wort, ice water in the sink or ? ...

After the boil everything is pretty critical to the outcome, so give it your full attention starting at flame-out =)

Is the skimmat always that gross? Looks like I got chunks of bread floating around in there. 

Gah I already jacked up. Forgot to add the hops  :mope:

returned it to boil with hops added... got a feeling it's ruined though. Only chilled for a few seconds before I noticed the package sitting there. 

grantmichaels said:
So ... how are you chilling the wort, ice water in the sink or ? ...

After the boil everything is pretty critical to the outcome, so give it your full attention starting at flame-out =)

ice water in sink yea

what do you think, return to boil with hops added for 15 min or so?

Directions say to put the end of the blow off tube in the left over sanitizer. Do I need to worry about it sucking it up at all?

Ozzy2001 said:
Might want to fire it back up. Maybe wait and see what GM thinks.

I got it fired back up with hops added and is rolling boil again. Directions said if there was a second package of hops to add at last 10 mins so i'm assuming the amount of time it's in the boil isn't overly critical other than to dissolve. 

Well, there are the bittering hops and aroma. The earlier added hops account for most of the bitterness where as the later addition is more for aroma/taste.

You need to boil for an hour after the hops ...
You need to add some water, too ... no biggie ...
There will be some extra maillard, but the goal for this brew is just to get to the end ... it's ok if it's barely beer ...

Well, there are the bittering hops and aroma. The earlier added hops account for most of the bitterness where as the later addition is more for aroma/taste.

Yeah ... those bittering hops are going to need the time to isomerize or whatever, and they will affect the break/proteins etc ...

Back