• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense I had my Pimenta de Neyde x Bhut Jolokias tested

I sent some of my Pimenta de Neyde x Bhut Jolokia peppers to a lab for Scoville Heat Unit testing.  The result came in at 158,400 SHUs.  This is my favorite pepper, and for me, this chile represents the perfect combination of heat and flavor!  The tests make sense, as this came in 3.278409090909091 times weaker than my Yellow 7 Pots, which tested at 519,300.  From my multiple taste and tolerance tests, this feels right.

Great!
Congrats on the follow through.
Cross  -  grow  -  get seed - grow -- have it tested.
How long does it take for the whole process?

Nice information. Would've expected it to be hotter, but then again, could be a lot of factors. Still interested in the cross, just for the looks alone. 

Very nice, Mark! Wish there were more testings/results like this with the different peppers/crosses that are grown by people throughout the forums.

I'm trying to imagine what that cross would taste like- from the few PDN's I've had... not a huge fan. I found them almost tasteless, a bit bitter at that and almost no heat- but VERY beautiful. Bhuts on the other hand are thumbs up all the way around (taste/heat/beautiful, etc...). The cross does sounds great- it's not uncommon where one pepper in a cross really brings out the qualities of the other pepper (that aren't really 'special' on its own) and the combined result really stands out and shines!  :cool:

Thanks for sharing the results!!

karoo said:
Great!
Congrats on the follow through.
Cross  -  grow  -  get seed - grow -- have it tested.
How long does it take for the whole process?
Thanks,

I didn't create the cross.  I grew a seed from a 6th generation pepper of the cross, because it was so delicious with a perfect heat level.  I sowed the seed in early September, 2014 and it sprouted on 09/13/2014.  I kept it indoors (in increasingly bigger clay pots) until May 30th, when it went outside.  The first pods ripened on August 5th, and so far, I've picked a total of 197 peppers from the plant.

Once the lab received the peppers, I got the results in 2 days.

dragon49 said:
Thanks,

I didn't create the cross.  I grew a seed from a 6th generation pepper of the cross, because it was so delicious with a perfect heat level.  I sowed the seed in early September, 2014 and it sprouted on 09/13/2014.  I kept it indoors (in increasingly bigger clay pots) until May 30th, when it went outside.  The first pods ripened on August 5th, and so far, I've picked a total of 197 peppers from the plant.

Once the lab received the peppers, I got the results in 2 days.
Can you describe the flavor profile and in your opinion was the heat level rating lower than you expected it to be ?

SavinaRed said:
Can you describe the flavor profile and in your opinion was the heat level rating lower than you expected it to be ?
Imagine eating a delicious ripe plum that was evenly injected with capsaicin, so it had an SHU rating of 158,400!  That is what it tastes like.

The test makes sense, as this came in 3.278409090909091 times weaker than my Yellow 7 Pots, which tested at 519,300. From my multiple taste and tolerance tests, this feels right.

dragon49 said:
Imagine eating a delicious ripe plum that was evenly injected with capsaicin, so it had an SHU rating of 158,400!  That is what it tastes like.

The test makes sense, as this came in 3.278409090909091 times weaker than my Yellow 7 Pots, which tested at 519,300. From my multiple taste and tolerance tests, this feels right.
wow the flavor profile sounds amazing

Awesome advertising for us!  I didn't eat any of the fresh peppers, but I had some flakes of the dried pods, before grinding, and like Mark said they have good flavor and not too much heat to ruin it.  I thought it tasted like raisins with heat.  Very cool pods with unique coloring and shapes.  -Tom

1tom2go said:
Awesome advertising for us!  I didn't eat any of the fresh peppers, but I had some flakes of the dried pods, before grinding, and like Mark said they have good flavor and not too much heat to ruin it.  I thought it tasted like raisins with heat.  Very cool pods with unique coloring and shapes.  -Tom

Could be that the flavour changes a little with dehydration like in grapes/raisins. If that's what they taste like though, I say chocolate coat them.

spicefreak said:

Could be that the flavour changes a little with dehydration like in grapes/raisins. If that's what they taste like though, I say chocolate coat them.
Yes, probably due to drying.  

Back