• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting New Fermentor in the house! Hahaha

Hey everyone!
I have gallon baggies of frozen pods and some still fresh from this year.
I have a one gallon carboy and the pressure lid. Anyone have any tips and what not?
I know the basics and have gathered a lot from all the posts here. One question I do have, I read you can take the liquid that sits on top of sour cream to start the ferment! Is that true?
Any general guidance and talking is welcome:D

Alright brother!!! I like to de seed as much as possible this does reduce the heat somewhat but I've never had a chili head friend complain yet. And I think you have less chance for a bitter ferment. The ones I didn't do I had to adjust during final processing to counter that bitterness.
I only use Probiotic capsules to start my ferments or increase salt content and use no starter at all.

How many grams of veg are you using I use 980 grams to 1400 in my mash that's total. So I guess you would double that. I use 1/2 gallon jars.
Some use brine some don't I like some brining liquid I think it makes final processing easier. I like to use a cheap white zin for that and my salt content is around 38-40 grams.
I also cover mash with a cabbage leaf to hold down mash below brine. Just cut a little bigger than opening and it acts like an umbrella I do poke a few small holes in it to help brine slip by.

What do you think you'll use in your mash? I like some onion,carrots,Sun dried tomatoes,garlic and peppers of course! :)

Just keep us informed brother want to see your whole process!! :) Class is in! :)

Kyle Reese Contreras said:
One question I do have, I read you can take the liquid that sits on top of sour cream to start the ferment! Is that true?

Your close but no, not from Sour Cream, Plain Yogurt with a live culture is what you want to use. The Probiotic capsules work well to but have a delayed start to them. Been thinking about that some lately. Seems like you could empty one into say a cup or 2 of warm water and let it desolve. Maybe add just a touch of honey to get them good and woken up and ready to ferment. Then they'd be ready to go when you added them to the mash.

RocketMan said:
Your close but no, not from Sour Cream, Plain Yogurt with a live culture is what you want to use. The Probiotic capsules work well to but have a delayed start to them. Been thinking about that some lately. Seems like you could empty one into say a cup or 2 of warm water and let it desolve. Maybe add just a touch of honey to get them good and woken up and ready to ferment. Then they'd be ready to go when you added them to the mash.
I use two capsules break open and stir directly into my mash. My last two ferments and the three theriac started bubbling in under 18 hours. Not sure if this is the norm or if I'm Magic!! MIND FREAK!! Hahaha

Was using whitelab starter at first using the method you suggested above but they took almost five days to start rolling. Finished ferments were fantastic but made me worry about salt content.
With the capsules I've been able to reduce my salt drastically because of the luck I've had with the start time.
And once again the finished mash has a super clean look and taste :) But that's just my two !!

oldsalty - Any specifics on the capsules you're using Salty, e.g. brand, type?

Kyle - Look for a plain yogurt that says "active cultures" on it. The organic ones in the healthy food section is what I use. You can use a strainer with a coffee filter or cheese cloth in it to strain the whey out. Leave in the fridge overnight and you will have enough to last you many ferments. Depending on my ingredients, I will use anywhere from 0 to 2 tbs per quart and have had good results.

If you are using homegrown or local peppers/fillers you would use less or none (they have natural fermenters on them), if you buy peppers at the grocery store (they are generally sterilized) you would use more. You can also change the level of salt based use of starters too. Salt is used to slow growth of bad things, but also slows the good ones. If you get a faster ferment (which will stop bad things), you can use less salt, say 2% by weight vs 4%+.

Hope that makes sense, and don't be shy to ask questions! :)

JohnsMyName said:
oldsalty - Any specifics on the capsules you're using Salty, e.g. brand, type.

Kyle - Look for a plain yogurt that says "active cultures" on it. The organic ones in the healthy food section is what I use. You can use a strainer with a coffee filter or cheese cloth in it to strain the whey out. Leave in the fridge overnight and you will have enough to last you many ferments. Depending on my ingredients, I will use anywhere from 0 to 2 tbs per quart and have had good results.

If you are using homegrown or local peppers/fillers you would use less or none, if you buy peppers at the grocery store you would use more. You can also change the level of salt based use of starters too. If you get a faster ferment, you can use less salt, say 2% by weight vs 4%.

IMG_20151007_123640.jpg
here you go brother John!! :)

Awesome! I'm glad you guys blew up the post! Tons of stuff to work with:) I will have to find somewhere that I can purchase those probiotics pills!!! Seriously haha
As far as what I plan to put into the mix, I will probably make a couple, one or two will be more of a gourmet flavor profile with lime, Garlic, Cilantro, and maybe a bit of cumin for some zing:)
Then I will make a few fruity ones, mango and pomegranate
oldsalty said:
I use two capsules break open and stir directly into my mash. My last two ferments and the three theriac started bubbling in under 18 hours. Not sure if this is the norm or if I'm Magic!! MIND FREAK!! Hahaha

Was using whitelab starter at first using the method you suggested above but they took almost five days to start rolling. Finished ferments were fantastic but made me worry about salt content.
With the capsules I've been able to reduce my salt drastically because of the luck I've had with the start time.
And once again the finished mash has a super clean look and taste :) But that's just my two !!
JohnsMyName said:
oldsalty - Any specifics on the capsules you're using Salty, e.g. brand, type?

If you are using homegrown or local peppers/fillers you would use less or none (they have natural fermenters on them), if you buy peppers at the grocery store (they are generally sterilized) you would use more. You can also change the level of salt based use of starters too. Salt is used to slow growth of bad things, but also slows the good ones. If you get a faster ferment (which will stop bad things), you can use less salt, say 2% by weight vs 4%+.

What do you think?

Sounds like a plan!

You could always make a very simple base, then add your other items after the fact in different batches to take it in different directions. Skies the limit!

I'd make individual plans then ask about them specifically to get targeted advice. So much knowledge on here and great ideas you might not think of.

JohnsMyName said:
Sounds like a plan!
You could always make a very simple base, then add your other items after the fact in different batches to take it in different directions. Skies the limit!
I'd make individual plans then ask about them specifically to get targeted advice. So much knowledge on here and great ideas you might not think of.
I won't start for a few days, but I will be posting before I do to get all your input!!

Let me take a moment to be super stoked, because I found some probiotics!!! It is not the same one as you posted
oldsalty said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_20151007_123640.jpg here you go brother John!! :)
But, at 1/3 the live cultures... I still think it will be effective... Seeing as the number is still astronomical hahaha 10,000,000,000 to be exactish? Hahaha
So what should I do? I'm thinking just Capsicum, Sodium Chloride, Probiotics, and Dihydrogen Monoxide? Then I can use this base compound after fermenting process to create further diverse flavor profile compounds?
JohnsMyName said:
Future ferments are up to you now, you can't go back and change them.
Haven't seen a Terminator reference for a while!! Haha yes that is where my name came from
gcMxek5.jpg

This is mine!

Perfect I use 2-3 capsules for half gallon ferments I just break the capsules open and stir right into mash usually see activity in no time!! 10-18 hours!! :) good luck!! Brother

tEBFVhw.jpg

This is it Oldsalty!!! 4 Tablets hahah just to get it going!!! I may have added a bit too much salt but we will see:)
I have plenty of frozen pods to work with hahah
Should I add any sugars or anything?
oldsalty said:
Perfect I use 2-3 capsules for half gallon ferments I just break the capsules open and stir right into mash usually see activity in no time!! 10-18 hours!! :) good luck!! Brother
10-18 hours? Hell yeah:)

A liitle sugar (I prefer agave, sweet wine and sometimes brown/cane) wouldn't have hurted, but your ferment will still do its thing and should be fine.

Adding sugar just ensures the good bacteria has food to eat so it can rapidly multiply. The sugar you add is eaten and turns into lactic acid, so it will create a more acidic final product as well as leaving behind other flavors, e.g. brown sugar = molasses.

Kyle Reese Contreras said:
It's just starting to get little bubble, is it okay that there is pieces of chili above the ferment? Like on the glass?
That happens I try to lightly swirl jar to knock it down but I've had them ride to the end without a problem.
No worries brother!! :)

Back