• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Red Rocoto Jelly

Courtesy of Mr. John Lackey:

Red Rocotos
Sugar
AC Vinegar
Lemon Juice
Liquid Pectin

DSC_0432.JPG

Here's what I did:

14 ounces Red Rocoto
6 Cups sugar
1 Cup AC vinegar
2 Tablespoon lemon juice (concentrate)
1 package liquid pectin

• Process Rocoto, vinegar, and lemon juice until smooth
  • Transfer and bring to boil, simmer 20 minutes
  • Stir in sugar and pectin
  • Bring to boil and boil for 1 minute
  • Remove from heat and skim foam (as required)
  • Ladle into sterilized jars
  • Seal jars and process 5 minutes in boiling hot bath

buddy said:

Here's what I did:

14 ounces Red Rocoto
6 Cups sugar
1 Cup AC vinegar
2 Tablespoon lemon juice (concentrate)
1 package liquid pectin

• Process Rocoto, vinegar, and lemon juice until smooth
  • Transfer and bring to boil, simmer 20 minutes
  • Stir in sugar and pectin
  • Bring to boil and boil for 1 minute
  • Remove from heat and skim foam (as required)
  • Ladle into sterilized jars
  • Seal jars and process 5 minutes in boiling hot bath

Thank you 

I followed this recipe to a T, and had great results. I made the red rocoto jelly with a mix of 3 different cultivars of red rocoto, that I had deseeded and frozen.

I also made an orange/yellow rocoto jelly with mainly deseeded aji oro, but I also threw in a a mix of 3 other yellow rocoto cultivars that I deseeded as well.

Can someone tell me the SHU of the Rocotos? I would like to try this recipe, but I will have to substitute the Rocotos for something out of my garden. Jalapeño? Caribbean Red? Red Cayenne? Im looking for a medium heat, as I have enough superhot sauces to burn my face off for the next two years! Good looking jelly, btw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Great looking colors! hope it taste great :)
You can regulate the heat with sugar, so no matter how hot they are, just add more sugar if you want to reduce the heat and add more acid to regulate the sugar taste. Ive used habs and they have the level of Jalapeno withe the fruit I added, I dont use sugar.

CMJ said:
Can someone tell me the SHU of the Rocotos? I would like to try this recipe, but I will have to substitute the Rocotos for something out of my garden. Jalapeño? Caribbean Red? Red Cayenne? Im looking for a medium heat, as I have enough superhot sauces to burn my face off for the next two years! Good looking jelly, btw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
The heat is about as hot as a habanero on most of the rocoto varieties I grow, but some individual pods are absolute scorchers.

Back