• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Injection for brisket

Who here thinks an injection with equal parts Apple juice, a broth made from bone marrow and oxtail, and Worcestershire sauce would be a good injection? Curious.

I'd go for the broth but ditch the other flavors. You want to add beef flavor and moisture only with brisket imo. Salt and pepper bark, some hot peppepr powder.

Burns and McCoy said:
Who here thinks an injection with equal parts Apple juice, a broth made from bone marrow and oxtail, and Worcestershire sauce would be a good injection? Curious.

It would do nicely imo.  Mostly with any injection you're looking for moisture and salt.  What you propose has both.  FWIW when we do competition cooks we inject with a solution made with 'better than bouillon' beef base mixed with finely (fresh) ground black pepper and granulated garlic.  

Caveat:  When I cook at home and/or for family and friends I never bother with injection.  When it comes down to it I just don't think it makes that big a difference.  Instead I look for well marbled beef that can be trimmed and prepped in little time.  :) 

I was going to say that too. :D But sounds like he wants one and no harm really. But I wouldn't do more than broth.

Would you put apple juice in your steak? Nope. Brisket like steak, best when simple.

Thanks guys. Actually a friend of mine has been doing competitions. Unfortunately he has been cooking dry. So I was trying to think of ways to get him a little moisture and added beef flavor.
I am a little lazy and let everybody else I know cook. I just make the drinks and eat.

Go with the injection just remember it is beef not pork and keep it simple. :)

Now let's talk about the rub! LOL... going basic S&P, or a more flavorful dry mustard/coriander type deal? Or coffee rub?? ;)

Why inject it when brining is so much easier? Especially brisket. While I like rubs, brining will help with the dryness. 

In my experience, I need to add 2-3x the amount of spices to the water (that is called for in the recipe), but the salt and sugar remain the same. 

You do need to let it rest after you take it out of the brine. If you don't, the outside is too salty. 

Depends on your smoking trip.
Cold and slow or hot.
Depends on the time you use for the injection to spread too.

Gotta let your injection spread to be effective or you get pockets in the meat that didn't get the juice.

Also it depends on what you are smoking,I do 10 - 15 lb. whole Briskets.

Fat trimming etc. along with the rub and possible mop make a LOT of difference.
Mop can be just a spray of whatever or a mix of your rub made into a tea to mop your brisket with.
The way you are going to smoke whatever you have as Brisket makes a LOT of difference.
I do Whole Briskets only.

Smokemaster
He does whole briskets, keeps temp around 270 I think. He used the green egg? Yesterday he did his brisket for 12 hours. Mopped it at around 9? I wasn't there the whole day as I had to go pick up 300 cases of bottles. So that's what I saw him doing
He was using Apple and peach wood.

I keep my smoker at 180 - 200.
I like Oak and or Hickory.
I like to rub my stuff down and let it blend for at least overnight.
Bigger cuts I let blend for up to a couple days to a week.
My barrel can do about 70-90 lbs. at a time.
The upright can do about 50 Lbs.
The Bullet water smoker does about 30 Lbs.
I don't smoke anything but fish and poultry or small stuff for a short time in my bullet.
I have several smokers,each does a specific job.
All I use are stick burners.
I think smoking stuff using other than wood is the SET IT AND FORGET IT type thing.
Might as well use Liquid smoke in a low oven...

Mesquite is,IN My opinion only good for grilling or whatever-grilling stuff.
My rubs , bastes and mops are possitively geared to a Mexican taste.
I use Sweet to supers in my rubs,bastes and mops.
Depends on my needs at the time.
Who is going to eat my stuff.

I LOVE Pastrami !
Especially when cold smoked with oak after a few days sucking up the FEW spices I THINK make GREAT stuff.
I think my Patsrami MIGHT come SEMI close to the Greatest stuff I've ever eaten in New York Deli's.
They use Brisket,that is corned,steamed,then sometimes Hot smoked.
Not smoked HOT often though.
They know their stuff.
Best stuff I like is smoked lightly though.
A couple REALLY good places to get good to great Pastrami is on Route 66,here in So. Ca.
Several Mom and Pop shops doing their thing.
A LOT of Mex. stores and eateries have a Barbacoa (SP?) day that they sell all kinds of slow smoked OR grilled eats THAT ARE  XLNT!
Even for a Gringo.:)

I've used Apple,not Peach before.

My opinion probably isn't of much help to you.
Just what I do.

Back