• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

One pepper everyone has to try

Im looking to expand my sauces into more obscure peppers.  Whats the one pepper you wish everyone would try, the one that's flavor or heat profile is just so unique, so awesome its a shame most people will never get to experience it?

I still have a lot to experience before picking one pepper but I can say +1 to the Bishops Hat only because I was able to turn my sister to the spicy side starting with that one. Starting from the outside you get pretty muck zero heat but when you get near the seeds it's just warm enough to not scare people away. From there, curiosity takes over and now I'm sharing my chocolate habs and yellow fatalii's.

Savina's description of Black Fatalii's got my attention now, gotta add that one to the list :party:

Bolsa de Dulce is an all around tasty pepper and is mild enough the whole family should be able to tolerate it. 

A favorite combo of mine is MOA yellow bonnet and Bahamian goat. The two Smoked and crushed make a terrific seasoning. It's been my #1 go to. I had smoked mine over alder and cherry. 

D3monic said:
Bolsa de Dulce is an all around tasty pepper and is mild enough the whole family should be able to tolerate it. 

A favorite combo of mine is MOA yellow bonnet and Bahamian goat. The two Smoked and crushed make a terrific seasoning. It's been my #1 go to. I had smoked mine over alder and cherry. 
Yes those are on my grow list next year the MOA and Goat. I have to find a seed source. Those seem to be right in the sweet spot for heat and flavor.

SB7J and Red Brainstrain. im sick in the head, what can i say.

6inUuVPh.jpg

+1 for Bahamian Goat. Would add Lemon Drop.

I had a plant I grew from seeds a guy brought to me from Thailand, the pepper had such a strange, great flavor, kind of nettle flavor, a great pepper. Green pods ripening to red. Not sure if I can find this strain again, the guy brought to me dried peppers, and when I used the seeds from these peppers next year after growing the nettle flavored one, they grew green/black. It looks they were mixed... Now I try to find old seeds and grow them again.

I'd name some of the ones already mentioned (Ají Lemon Drop and Bishop's Hat come to mind), but would add: Ají Fantasy Yellow, Ají Santa Cruz, Ají Melcotón, Cheongyang Gochu, Grenada Yellow Seasoning Pepper, Dong Xuan Viet Market, Cheongyang Gochu, CGN 21500, Jamy, and Giant White Habanero to the list.
cycadjungle said:
You can't beat a 7 pod Primo!
Isnt that the same thing as a Reaper?

I dont think there is just one that will fit that mold. There are several though that I have grown fond of . Brown morugas, madd balls, scotch bonnets(still have to try all the different types available), 7 pot burgundy, manzanos.
There was a thread a while back that asked you if you were trapped on an island, which 3 peppers you would want to have with you. That was easy at the time because I had a limited exposure to the vast variety of peppers and their limitless heat /flavor profile combinations. Now after growing a few years and experiencing hundreds of different peppers, that thread would be impossible to answer.

SavinaRed said:
For me there are 2 that stand out and this might change next year when I grow some other kinds of peppers.

1- The Bishops Crown or Hat
2- Black Fatalii- not as hot as the other fatalii's with a much better sweeter flavor. 

In fact I'm overwintering my 2 black fatalii plants and 3 of my Bishops Crowns. 

I've not tried black fatalii but picked up some white ones back in summer and they had a really unusual taste to them. Smooth and creamy, with only the slightest hint of the lemon flavour the seller claimed and so increadibly juicy. Never had a pepper like it but do be warned, the juice sits at the entrance to your throat and only burns more each time you try to swallow. For something rated like a Hab, those White Fataliis really packed some punch!
Definitely a unique experience and one I'd reccomend to those seeking more unusual flavours, just don't eat 'em whole like me.

cycadjungle, on 27 Nov 2015 - 2:47 PM, said:
You can't beat a 7 pod Primo!

Isnt that the same thing as a Reaper?

Regardless of what the tests turn out, my Primos from Troy taste better and are hotter than my reapers from the pucker/ pepper joe source. I will always keep these separate. Tom

TNKS said:
Starfish pods are very much underrated
They dry well
They smoke well
They smoke/dry well
Crazy good in your best guacamole,smoked or fresh off the plant
The less you you to them the better they shine
Stemmed and stuffed with cream cheese and fresh cooked bacon(crazy good)
My starfish were really small peppers this year- only the size of a dime and nickel. I will have to try again next year with different seed stock.

These are all great suggestions

SavinaRed said:
For me there are 2 that stand out and this might change next year when I grow some other kinds of peppers.

1- The Bishops Crown or Hat
2- Black Fatalii- not as hot as the other fatalii's with a much better sweeter flavor. 

In fact I'm overwintering my 2 black fatalii plants and 3 of my Bishops Crowns. 
Black Fatalii is intriguing indeed!

Jeff H said:
Any of the rocoto /monzano type peppers.
Ive been really interested in these types for a long time but could see no real reason to grow them other than novelty.  is the flavor and heat alot different?
KingChile said:
7 Pot Burgundy is one of the best tasting peppers i've had and think it would make a REALLY great sauce!
sounds interesting, can you describe the flavor and heat?
CAPCOM said:
I dont think there is just one that will fit that mold. There are several though that I have grown fond of . Brown morugas, madd balls, scotch bonnets(still have to try all the different types available), 7 pot burgundy, manzanos.
There was a thread a while back that asked you if you were trapped on an island, which 3 peppers you would want to have with you. That was easy at the time because I had a limited exposure to the vast variety of peppers and their limitless heat /flavor profile combinations. Now after growing a few years and experiencing hundreds of different peppers, that thread would be impossible to answer.
Im a big moruga fan how is the choco version different?
spicefreak said:

I've not tried black fatalii but picked up some white ones back in summer and they had a really unusual taste to them. Smooth and creamy, with only the slightest hint of the lemon flavour the seller claimed and so increadibly juicy. Never had a pepper like it but do be warned, the juice sits at the entrance to your throat and only burns more each time you try to swallow. For something rated like a Hab, those White Fataliis really packed some punch!
Definitely a unique experience and one I'd reccomend to those seeking more unusual flavours, just don't eat 'em whole like me.
hmmm, white versions are a very interesting suggestion.  I love the color of white sauces, just so out of the norm.

The brown moruga has a nice earthy full bodied taste. When I bite into the flesh of a fresh one it reminds me of mushrooms. I know that sounds weird but that's what comes to mind. Then shortly after it is hot mushrooms. The heat is not so much a tongue searing scorch as it is a cheek back full throat roast of intense heat. I plan to make a sauce with them soon. But so far they are tough to beat raw or dried and powdered.

Back