• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

First sauce and a question about wine

Last night I made my first hot sauce. Tiny batch just to see if I could do it, but enough that I will have some for a little while.

Used a very simple mix, not worried about shelf stable as I plan on using it fairly quick.

Fresno peppers
sweet mini peppers ( what the store had)
onion
salt
red wine vinegar
lemon

I did a light cook on it then left it over night in the fridge. ( still chopped but not fine)

Last night added honey and blended well, then reduced it a bit to get the consistency I wanted.

I like how it turned out, but would have preferred to use actual red wine, but was not sure how that would work.
I see people use a wine brine in fermenting , but anyone use wine in the actual sauce when doing fresh?
The only other question I had would be about using honey in a sauce later on if I want to make a shelf stable one?

Sorry about all the questions
Cheri

Attachments

• IMG_20151128_222237862.jpg
    IMG_20151128_222237862.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 42
Cheri,

If you, like me, make it for relitivly quick consumption you can put just about anything in it. In the fridge it will last a few months. I even once used koolaid. I like the wine idea. Play around, and have fun.
Try lemon as an acid.

Also try rice wine vinegar.

I did an asain blend that was awesome. I used lemon grass, thai peppers, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, shallots, and a touch of hoisen.

JUST PLAY

Red wine in hot sauce is totally fine.  Quick Wiki look says wines typcally have a pH of 2.9-3.9, that's less acidic than citrus juices and vinegars.  I would use some red wine and some vinegar (even red wine vinegar).

We did a community hot sauce class and one of the groups used some white wine in the sauce.  It totally worked.
One for the sauce
One for me
One for the sauce
2 for me....

:rofl:

I use wine often in uncooked unfermented hotsauces and its fine.   i use chardonnay, i would be worrid about the tannins in red wine making the sauce astringent.  Honey is a natural preservative it wont go bad.

Back