• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests About to give up!!!!!!!!!! Pest have WON

I have tried everything on these freaking pest! I planted my carolina reapers in may and still have no peppers in November. Im ready to cut them down and say the hell with it.
I have tried dish soap mix, cold water, pesticide, oils and to no avail these little bugs have infested my pepper plants and funnily they have not touched my tomato plant at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12196182_926266940799247_4212621809460646040_n.jpg

Any ideals on what else I could try?
They seems to be gathered in mass on all the buds of the plants.

identify the species and find predators. I know people buy ladybugs, mites, wasps, lacewings, mantis for pest control..

some insecticide should have worked you just may not be using the correct one or applying it regularly enough or thorough the soil as well to kill eggs or something.

I read some other post about a product called sevin. I found this on amazon  Sevin Ready-To-Use 5% Dust 3 Pack 1 lb each (http://www.amazon.com/Sevin-Ready---Use-Dust-Pack/dp/B006O8OWFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449033329&sr=8-1&keywords=Sevin)Is this the right stuff and Do you guys think I should give this a try?

juanitos said:
identify the species and find predators. I know people buy ladybugs, mites, wasps, lacewings, mantis for pest control..

some insecticide should have worked you just may not be using the correct one or applying it regularly enough or thorough the soil as well to kill eggs or something.
I have tried to find out the species with no luck. I have no clue what they are. I think there aphids but not 100%

twisterdude1009 said:
I read some other post about a product called sevin. I found this on amazon  Sevin Ready-To-Use 5% Dust 3 Pack 1 lb each (http://www.amazon.com/Sevin-Ready---Use-Dust-Pack/dp/B006O8OWFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449033329&sr=8-1&keywords=Sevin)Is this the right stuff and Do you guys think I should give this a try?

I have tried to find out the species with no luck. I have no clue what they are. I think there aphids but not 100%
I've used Sevin Dust.  Good Stuff.  But be sure to get one of those little squeeze bottle powder dusters (can't remember the exact name)  that you can pour the powder into.   That way you can  also spray from ground level to enable coverage UNDER the leaves as well on top of them.  
Walmart sells Sevin also.   I've seen it in 10% strength also.  ManyYears ago I had some 40-50% but have never seen it again
TwisterDude..sent you a PM.    :)

Don't give up! For sure some chemical will work. You can kill them by hand, as the last solution.
Try also use a mix of hot pepper, from powder, or keep some very hot peppers in alcohol - hopefuly something will burn/dry them.

Sevin will kill all beneficial insects as well as bad. I'd give beneficial insects a try. Soaps and chems you have to apply on a strict schedule since most don't kill eggs. Have you tried pyrethrin? Not as bad as Sevin and is made from flowers. You could try a solution using tomato leaves. It has worked for me in the past for aphids. Soak a cup of chopped tomato leaves in a cup of warm water overnight. Strain and add a cup of water to the tomato solution and spray on aphids. Tomatoes are in the nightshade family and the alkaloids in the leaves are supposed to kill aphids. I've used it before and it has worked for me.

Ladybug, lacewing, parasitic wasps. Try http://buglogical.com. You could get ladybugs from Amazon for cheaper but I've heard hit and miss reviews from them. Pound for pound lacewings eat more aphids than ladybugs. Lacewing larvae are called aphid lions. The only drawback is they only eat aphids/mites while in larvae form. Once they turn into lacewings they feed on nectar. Parasitic wasps work very well but take a while to work. Ladybugs are always good and eat the hell outta aphids. They also eat aphids in both larval and adult form. Only release them at night (they won't fly away) and spray them lightly with a 50/50 soda/water solution. Sticks their wings together so they can't fly away for a few days.

When you plant next year add some plants that attract beneficials. Marigolds, dill, lavender, cilantro, carrots left to go to seed, basil are a few good ones. Once you get colonies of beneficial insects established on your property you shouldn't have to worry about infestations again. Good luck.

This is probably the lowest tech advice, but have you tried just squishing them? If you don't have many infected plants, it doesn't take that long and does actually work. In areas where you can't get them out of the tiny crevices, just prune the area off and toss it. Squishing has 100% kill rate for all squished, is free and non-toxic.

I realize this is totally impractical if you have tons of infested plants. But, if you've got 10-15 mins to go at it, it does make a huge dent in their population.

Well Today after using a insecticide soap spray last night I decided to screw it and hit them with the hose of cold water instead of the spray bottle and ill be damn it cleared off over 3/4 of them little S******ds. So im gonna respray in 2-3 days and spray em down with the hose again.

I vote nuclear option!!  Give them a jolt from me, too!  Hate those bastidges!

I had a go with them recently, too.  I took all my adults out of their pots, repotted, WASHED the plants (swirled them upside down in soapy water for a few swirls).  Its been about 2 weeks and I still have a few aphids every other day, but I pinch them or NEEM them and I've been able to stay ahead of them.

NUKE! NUKE! NUKE!

Back