• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Fruit in hotsauce

It seems like almost no one is making superhot sauces without adding loads of fruit and i just dont get it.  I understand you can make a yummy concoction but what do you do with it?  I dont want berries on my taco, or mango on my eggs or pizza.  I guess im just trying to understand the root of this dubious practice. To clarify - this is about fruit based sauces as oppossed to small additions of fruit. 

Well I dont know about you but I LOVE cherry raspberry fire on my tacos. I LOVE pineapple kiwi ginger heat on my omelettes. My Jerky is FIRE brothah when I marinate it in Peach mango hellfire.

Its all about personal preference. My sauces are sweet, really sweet actually and then the fire comes and burns your ass-literally and figuratively!!!

Some people dont like American Cheese Food. I love it. I dont really care for noodles and rice whereas most people here seem to love it.

Fruit is my first ingredient followed by peppers-Sweet and supers.

Different strokes, different .....ah well you get it.

Hope that helps man.

I have had enough customers asking for a sauce with no fruit that Jimmy Scorpion was born but alot of people have certain foods they just want hot. Not me but now and then I do like the switch up. This could be due to my dislike of vinegar sauces.

I like many fruit-based sauce on nachos, fish, even pork chops.  Grilled fish is often served with fruit salsa (mango, onion, garlic, lime, cilantro, jalapeno, etc...).  I usually don't have the time to work up a fresh chunky salsa, so a fruit based sauce does the trick.  Any one of a number of mango, pineapple, any kind of tropical fruit hot sauces....Served over rice....Mmmmm.... 

Applesauce is typically served with pork chops, and while I may not have an apple hot sauce...again, a pineapple or even our Pear/Garlic hot sauce is stellar.

For nachos, I'll eat any good tasting hot sauce whether it's fruit based, roasted veggies ( ;) LDHS) ....whatever I'm in the mood for!

When I'm adding fruit to sauce it's not because I'm after cloying sweet - most of the time I'm looking to balance heat.  I have sweet(er) sauces, but most of my stuff is savory despite the addition of fruit.  Balance is the mantra; sweet/heat/salt/sour/savory.  :)

I have both on hand. Fruit mellows and adds sweetness to a sauce. Fresh Lime and Lemon are used at most taco trucks and taquera's so I like using a sauce made with those fruits. I always use fresh lemons with my fish so I prefer a lemon based sauce for my fish. Thats why there are hundreds,thousands of different sauces out there because everyone is different. 

I'm getting ready to make a sauce from persimmons. I made a batch last year at Christmas time and it was everyone's favorite sauce.

Sauces for courses.  

I like citrus and stone fruit dominant sauces on fish and chicken, tomato and roasted sauces, smokey sauces etc on beef and egg dishes, and berry dominant sauces on venison.  

Pork is player in the crowd and goes with anything depending on how you cook it.  

Justaguy said:
I have had enough customers asking for a sauce with no fruit that Jimmy Scorpion was born but alot of people have certain foods they just want hot. Not me but now and then I do like the switch up. This could be due to my dislike of vinegar sauces.
so you only do ferments then?
Hawaiianero said:
I used to think the same thing having only experienced stuff like tobasco or sriracha most of my life.
you trying to start somethin'? :snooty:  This isnt about the addition of fruit its about fruit being the main component.
SavinaRed said:
I have both on hand. Fruit mellows and adds sweetness to a sauce. Fresh Lime and Lemon are used at most taco trucks and taquera's so I like using a sauce made with those fruits. I always use fresh lemons with my fish so I prefer a lemon based sauce for my fish. Thats why there are hundreds,thousands of different sauces out there because everyone is different. 

I'm getting ready to make a sauce from persimmons. I made a batch last year at Christmas time and it was everyone's favorite sauce
the addition of citrus isnt what im talking about i also use lemon and lime this is about fruit being the main ingredient.  how do you make a lemon based sauce? the base is the main ingredient.
The Hot Pepper said:
You can find just as many sauces without fruit. You just have to look. ;)
I dont buy sauce so its not a matter of finding anything other than discussion on the merits of the practice.  I just find overly fruity sauces, even those just made from highly fruity peppers like lemon drops to sweet for general application and wanted to talk about it :cheers: .

Topsmoke said:
I dont buy sauce so its not a matter of finding anything other than discussion on the merits of the practice.  I just find overly fruity sauces, even those just made from highly fruity peppers like lemon drops to sweet for general application and wanted to talk about it :cheers: .

You might find better results with powders. Pick your favorite pepper, and that's all it is, just pepper.

I also reach for pepper sauces more than fruit. You want some really good pure pepper flavor in sauce, try AJ's Puree recipe.

dragonsfire said:
It adds body, besides taste, that's what I like about it.
my sauce philosophy is let the peppers shine, as a result they are thinner sauces though. my sauces are un cooked unfermented pepper purees in vinegar.

SmokenFire said:
When I'm adding fruit to sauce it's not because I'm after cloying sweet - most of the time I'm looking to balance heat.  I have sweet(er) sauces, but most of my stuff is savory despite the addition of fruit.  Balance is the mantra; sweet/heat/salt/sour/savory.   :)
I have used fruit in the past but my main ingredient is always peppers.

I have a sauce that I'm still tweaking you might be interested in.
I use equal amounts of ghost, fatalii, and 3 different habaneros, red, orange, and chocolate. Then to tone down the heat a bit I add bishops hat and brazillian starfish. The only non-pepper ingredients are garlic, sea salt, and vinegar.
Still missing something, i might try different vinegars or even use lime juice instead but I like the combination of pepper flavors.
Once I'm happy with the results I'll post the recipe with pics.

I use equal amounts of ghost, fatalii, and 3 different habaneros, red, orange, and chocolate. Then to tone down the heat a bit I add bishops hat and brazillian starfish. The only non-pepper ingredients are garlic, sea salt, and vinegar.
Still missing something, i might try different vinegars or even use lime juice instead but I like the combination of pepper flavors.
Have you tried ACV in place of regular vinegar ?
my sauce philosophy is let the peppers shine, as a result they are thinner sauces though. my sauces are un cooked unfermented pepper purees in vinegar.

I have used fruit in the past but my main ingredient is always peppers.
The sauces I make contain peppers as the number 1 ingredient as well followed by fruit,ACV, onion,garlic and salt.

Hawaiianero said:

You may try a little more salt, you know how soup needs "something" and a dash of salt changes it entirely and wakes up the flavors.

And try lemon before lime imo, lime is great but lemon works more universally.

SavinaRed said:
Have you tried ACV in place of regular vinegar ?
The sauces I make contain peppers as the number 1 ingredient as well followed by fruit,ACV, onion,garlic and salt.

The Hot Pepper said:

You may try a little more salt, you know how soup needs "something" and a dash of salt changes it entirely and wakes up the flavors.

And try lemon before lime imo, lime is great but lemon works more universally.
Great ideas guys. I was thinking ACV or Rice wine vinegar.
More salt makes sense, especially with sea salt it seems a bit "weaker" than regular salt. Also appreciate the comment on lemon vs. lime.
Good stuff.

Sorry Topsmoke, didn't mean to hijack the thread. :rolleyes:

tamari  :shhh:

and rice vinegar.  ACV is a strong flavor you may not want with just peppers.  ACV works with strong flavors like fire roases, and chipotle, and bbq, but for a pepper-only sauce I'd look at rice vinegar or another lighter vinegar.  Maybe white wine vinegar?

tamari  :shhh:

and rice vinegar.  ACV is a strong flavor you may not want with just peppers.  ACV works with strong flavors like fire roases, and chipotle, and bbq, but for a pepper-only sauce I'd look at rice vinegar or another lighter vinegar.  Maybe white wine vinegar?
I might give rice wine a try.

Back