• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Chili?

I think I have seen some on here. Did you check the recipe database and the test kitchen threads?

I wouldn't worry about the heat, just make it as hot as you wish instead of adding the number or kind of chilis mentioned in the recipe.

This is the best chili recipe I have ever tried. I'm not sure where the recipe originated, but it is amazing! Sometimes, I don't bother adding all four cans of the kidney beans and it still turns out wonderful. Once anyone tastes this chili, they will be begging for the recipe.

Ingredients
2 teaspoons oil
2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb lean ground beef
3/4 lb beef sirloin, cubed
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomato
1 can dark beer(Any type of stout)
1 cup strong coffee
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
1 can beef broth
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons chili sauce
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon salt
4 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans/Pinto Beans
4 chili pepper, chopped (jalapeno/serrano or as hot a pepper as you like)

1. Heat Oil.

2. Cook onions, garlic and meat until brown.

3. Add tomatoes, beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth.

4.Add spices Stir in 2 cans of kidney beans and peppers.

5. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

6.Add 2 remaining cans of kidney beans/Pinto beans and simmer for another 30 minutes.

Serve and enjoy.

You can of course Remove the Beans from the recipe :)

AlabamaJacks Chili - Real Texas Red

AlabamaJacks Red - True Texas Red

2 lbs. Chili ground beef
1 lb. Chili ground pork
12 oz Italian Sausage Hot
12 oz Italian Sausage Mile
12 oz. Chorrizo
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp salt
3 16 oz cans stewed tomatos
1 Tbsp black pepper
750 ml white zinfindel wine
1-3 Tbsp Oregano
10 Jalapeno peppers (chopped)
2-4 Tbsp Chili Powder
4 Cloves Fresh Garlic Crushec
1 large Sweet White Onion (chopped)

Brown all meat keeping the fat that has been rendered...the leaner meat you use, the less fat.

Add all other ingredients and cook on low heat just enough to keep it bubbling for about 2-3 hours and you are ready.

This chili is really good if you let it cool down overnight then reheat the next day to the point of boiling then reduce heat to simmer for about another hour...

All ingredients can be adjusted to taste...I use about 15 Japs, Plus one whole chopped superhot...seeds and all...

If you have fresh ripe tomatoes, you can use them but you will have to adjust the salt and other spices to compensate...

If you want to make this a "CASI" chili where there is just sauce and meat, deseed the peppers and puree all the veggies (peppers, tomatos, onion, and garlic) in a food processor until smooth) then add to the cooked meat. I add all the spices to the veggies if I puree them, then mix it all together...

Once the chili is ready to eat, you can remove some of the grease off the top...I would not remove the grease before cooking because that is where a lot of the flavor comes from...

Bon Apetite

AlabamaJack said:

2 lbs. Chili ground beef
1 lb. Chili ground pork
12 oz. Chorrizo
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
1-3 Tbsp Oregano
2-4 Tbsp Chili Powder

Brown all meat keeping the fat that has been rendered...the leaner meat you use, the less fat.

Add all other ingredients and cook on low heat just enough to keep it bubbling for about 2-3 hours and you are ready.

This chili is really good if you let it cool down overnight then reheat the next day to the point of boiling then reduce heat to simmer for about another hour...

All ingredients can be adjusted to taste...I use about 15 Japs, Plus one whole chopped superhot...seeds and all...

If you have fresh ripe tomatoes, you can use them but you will have to adjust the salt and other spices to compensate...

If you want to make this a "CASI" chili where there is just sauce and meat, deseed the peppers and puree all the veggies (peppers, tomatos, onion, and garlic) in a food processor until smooth) then add to the cooked meat. I add all the spices to the veggies if I puree them, then mix it all together...

Once the chili is ready to eat, you can remove some of the grease off the top...I would not remove the grease before cooking because that is where a lot of the flavor comes from...

Bon Apetite

I can vouch for this recipe. I've made it a couple of times and it is absolutely incredible.

AlabamaJack said:

2 lbs. Chili ground beef
1 lb. Chili ground pork
12 oz. Chorrizo
1 Tbsp Cumin
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
1-3 Tbsp Oregano
2-4 Tbsp Chili Powder

Bon Apetite

Thanks Ronnie, do yall play Country or Blue Grass?

hey, thanks for the vote of confidence Sickmont...I didn't know you had used my recipe...makes me proud..

YW Pepper Belly...we are a honky tonk dance band...no blue grass...play a lot of originals and a bunch of old stuff like George, Tom T., Merle, Waylon, Willie, a couple of Marty Robbins...heck, I bet we know over 1000 songs...depending on the show we are doing, we sometimes open it up for requests right away with the disclaimer "our top 40 was 40 years ago"...we don't do any Nashville nor do we have a desire to do any Nashville...

by the way...when I am cooking at home, I just use a lean ground beef and ground pork...it does'nt have to be chili grind..and I forgot to say break open the italian sausage and kinda crumple it up...

AlabamaJack said:
hey, thanks for the vote of confidence Sickmont...I didn't know you had used my recipe...makes me proud..

YW Pepper Belly...we are a honky tonk dance band...no blue grass...play a lot of originals and a bunch of old stuff like George, Tom T., Merle, Waylon, Willie, a couple of Marty Robbins...heck, I bet we know over 1000 songs...depending on the show we are doing, we sometimes open it up for requests right away with the disclaimer "our top 40 was 40 years ago"...we don't do any Nashville nor do we have a desire to do any Nashville...

by the way...when I am cooking at home, I just use a lean ground beef and ground pork...it does'nt have to be chili grind..and I forgot to say break open the italian sausage and kinda crumple it up...

I don't think ill be able to get Italian sausage here in Germany, but I will probably use what they call in German Thüringer Wurst. I love Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, to me that was real Country not this Hip hopped, rocked up "Country" they play today. I guess I better stop I am showing my age :) .

LUCKYDOG said:
I'll have to try that recipe but of course ova' he'a we use beans ;)

My wife makes hers normally with beans and I think hers is good enough to win a CASI. But I wanted to try authentic Texas Red, the cowboy cook's didn't have hours to soften the beans and beef was readily on hand, especially since its inevitable that during a drive you lose a few.

LUCKYDOG said:
I'll have to try that recipe but of course ova' he'a we use beans ;)

if you add beans to my recipe, I will personally hunt you down like a dog and....wait...you are a luckydog... :lol:

Pepper Belly said:
Ronnie what could I use to substitute for the wine (non alcoholic)?

If you are concerned about the alcohol intake, all the alcohol cooks off and there is none left behind...just the fruity taste of the zinfendel...if you don't want to cook with it....maybe some diluted white grape juice for the sweetness...the wine adds a little sweetness to the recipe...

AlabamaJack said:
if you add beans to my recipe, I will personally hunt you down like a dog and....wait...you are a luckydog... :lol:

If you are concerned about the alcohol intake, all the alcohol cooks off and there is none left behind...just the fruity taste of the zinfendel...if you don't want to cook with it....maybe some diluted white grape juice for the sweetness...the wine adds a little sweetness to the recipe...

So a sweet white wine would be the ideal thing? We carry a few Californian wines here in Germany but typically expensive due to import taxes. Would any decent priced sweet maybe half dry wine do?

Pepper Belly said:
So a sweet white wine would be the ideal thing? We carry a few Californian wines here in Germany but typically expensive due to import taxes. Would any decent priced sweet maybe half dry wine do?

I actually use my wifes box of wine...sunset blush...I would just use a sweet inexpensive wine...the sunset blush is the cheapest I can find...5 Liters for 10 USD...sweet/half dry would probably do the trick

Pepper Belly said:

How about a nice Riesling? Wouldn't that work out well for this?

AlabamaJack said:
I actually use my wifes box of wine...sunset blush...I would just use a sweet inexpensive wine...the sunset blush is the cheapest I can find...5 Liters for 10 USD...sweet/half dry would probably do the trick

Thanks Ronnie.

Back