• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Jamaican Yellow Scotch Bonnet - Seedling RED!!!

Hallo there Hot Pepper growers

I am a grower who recently started with chillies and I've got some 5 varieties just started here in South Africa.

Things are going well, minus some minituare caterpillars that ate quite a bit of the first set of leaves of many of my seedlings, but I wanted to know if it is normal to have a seedling that is entirely red? My JYSB seeds only sprouted one from the 5, but is growing alright. I noticed it was the only seedling that was red and when I transplanted from the plug to a pot, I could see that the roots were red as well as all its leaves.

Is this normal? Doesn't look like it from the photos I've seen.

Any ideas?

Cheers

P

Not normal, could be some unknown environmental factors / something in the soil. Would love to see some pictures if you can get them uploaded to a photo sharing site like photobucket or click "more reply options" on bottom right, Then on bottom left under attach files click "choose file" - then select the photo you wish to upload and click open or ok. Then click attach this file then click "add to post"

that's sounds like a lot of steps but only takes a second. 

I umm, understand from reading and such that other plants in cold conditions can go purple sort of red…

but yes, pics or it didn't happen.  

Hallo-hi

Sorry for the delay, here's a photo.

Could be that it got cold, but all the other (25+) seedlings that were in the same plug tray and on the same heating mat (25 deg Cel) made perfectly normal looking green leaves and stems.

I don't think it's a weed, I use sterile coco peat to sprout in.

The seedling is looking rough and gnarled, which is in part due to some minituare caterpillars that I found on the little plants (found a dead moth behind the one tray), but this one is the slowest, which I think might be due to it's mutant nature.

You can see the new leaves look less red, but still with a strong red border and strange colour. Anybody seen something similar?

Cheers and thanks

P
IMG_9423_zpskqxo2kpl.jpg

Trident chilli said:
Wow ... I am looking forward to seeing this too ... was the seed bought locally or from a vendor outside of SA
I bought the seeds in SA, from a local vendor called seedsforafrica, but I don't know where they sourced it from.

Pixel_Ninja said:
Considering i'm just down the road from you, do I get a cutting if it turns out to be a mutant species? 

You would definitely be able to, but I am by now pretty sure that it is, in fact, a beetroot....

Not sure how this happened, but hopefully I don't jump the gun like this again.. Whoops

Back