• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Women in US combat possitions

ajdrew said:
I have no problem with women filling combat positions in the US military.  But I have to question the Old Boys club making the change at this time.  Could the US be running low on male volunteers for these positions?

CNN Reports Women in Combat Positions

I have no issue with it either, but I feel if we are allowed into such positions, we should be required to meet the same level of fitness as the males have to.
I never agreed with the different physical fitness standards I was required to meet when I was in some 27 years ago.

I don't understand the Gender problem.
NO MAN HAS EVER FIGURED OUT WHY OR WHAT THEIR OLD LADY IS PISSED OFF ABOUT-EVER!

If an enemy pisses off a male,it's HU RA time...

Piss off a Lady (especially while she is dealing with any Gender type thing,in any form) is asking for more than ANYONE can handle.

A Pissed Off WELL trained Military Woman can EASILY do a LOT of Damage.

Males give her the advantage by thinking it's about a weaker FEMALE type thing.
VERY true about what people think in general.
Ever met a Woman with the same likes and attitude as you-I have about a Lot of stuff.

Lately I read and see on the news that Woman are getting prefered as Terrorists.
We think they aren't as dangerous or whatever-our culture.

Maybe a woman might not be (in a some instances) as POSSIBLY effective in War.
I don't know.
I DO know several Woman that could do,and DO do as well as men in several situations.

Woman AREN"T always-or even times, the weaker between Male and Female.
They just play the game as life forces them to play it.

I think,in general,WOMAN in a lot of instances are degraded because they are good in the Military at what they do -called Dykes and hassled to get screwed.

I'd rather have a guy chasing me with an M16 than a Woman having to do BETTER than the guy chasing my Butt around.
The Woman will probably kick my butt. LOL
Men have only to go through training,woman go through the same stuff more or less,but there is no Hu Ra when they graduate.

They make war look like a Physical thing.
I see it more as a mental thing-isn't that WHY there is BOOT CAMP?

Get Your head together to fight the Enemy?
Doesn't matter what gender you are.
IF you are trained to do what you have to do,why does it matter if you are female or Male?

smokemaster said:
Maybe a woman might not be (in a some instances) as POSSIBLY effective in War.
I don't know.
I DO know several Woman that could do,and DO do as well as men in several situations.

Woman AREN"T always-or even times, the weaker between Male and Female.
They just play the game as life forces them to play it.
As a kid who grew up a tom boy, I was always bummed when I couldn't play the same sports as my male counterparts.  It made me work harder and eventually I was the only girl on the team.  I was even more bummed to find out as a 9 or 10 yr old that if I wanted to be in the military I couldn't "fight" (I started training in martial arts when I was 6, and thought I'd be a great soldier back then...).  

The only disadvantage I may have as a fighter is my height, but I am not even average sized.  There are just things that being just about 5'1'' won't let me do, but there are women out there who are as tall as men that could do all the same tasks. That being said, the only reason my height has ever been a disadvantage is when I used to sport fight.  When there are no rules to how and what you can do in a fight, the size is much less of a factor.  I use it to my advantage, I can fit places most average sized men can't, and really no one expects the 5'1'' girl to have tricks up her sleeve.  

As for the change coming now, maybe its because women's athletics are being publicized and televised more now and hold much more ground than in the past.  The US women's soccer team has accomplished a great deal and they're starting to get the recognition they deserve instead of just parodies of people tearing off their shirts with black sports bra underneath. UFC is helping show the world that women are just as capable fighters as men.  There's even Danica Patrick out there turning left the the other boys.  Maybe some of the menfolk out there that may have thought that women were physically inferior, are seeing this athleticism realize a female can be just as competent as a man on a battlefield.

Rawkstah said:
As a kid who grew up a tom boy, I was always bummed when I couldn't play the same sports as my male counterparts.  It made me work harder and eventually I was the only girl on the team.  I was even more bummed to find out as a 9 or 10 yr old that if I wanted to be in the military I couldn't "fight" (I started training in martial arts when I was 6, and thought I'd be a great soldier back then...).  

The only disadvantage I may have as a fighter is my height, but I am not even average sized.  There are just things that being just about 5'1'' won't let me do, but there are women out there who are as tall as men that could do all the same tasks. That being said, the only reason my height has ever been a disadvantage is when I used to sport fight.  When there are no rules to how and what you can do in a fight, the size is much less of a factor.  I use it to my advantage, I can fit places most average sized men can't, and really no one expects the 5'1'' girl to have tricks up her sleeve.  

As for the change coming now, maybe its because women's athletics are being publicized and televised more now and hold much more ground than in the past.  The US women's soccer team has accomplished a great deal and they're starting to get the recognition they deserve instead of just parodies of people tearing off their shirts with black sports bra underneath. UFC is helping show the world that women are just as capable fighters as men.  There's even Danica Patrick out there turning left the the other boys.  Maybe some of the menfolk out there that may have thought that women were physically inferior, are seeing this athleticism realize a female can be just as competent as a man on a battlefield.

I grew up w/ a female classmate as our goalie playing soccer all throughout elementary and middle school ...

She was excellent, and tougher than most of the guy's ... including myself.

grantmichaels said:

I grew up w/ a female classmate as our goalie playing soccer all throughout elementary and middle school ...

She was excellent, and tougher than most of the guy's ... including myself.

What happened after middle school?

Arent you usually Dr. science i. workedinmedicine?

grantmichaels said:

Pressure to play on the girl's teams in H.S. ... not sure if it was peer-pressure by other girls, or the faculty ...

I think if girls want to try out for the boy's team, they should be able to try out for the boy's too ...

I imagine the installation of the transgender-gradient will make that simple in the nearish future ...

#meritocracy

grantmichaels said:
I think if girls want to try out for the boy's team, they should be able to try out for the boy's too ...

I imagine the installation of the transgender-gradient will make that simple in the nearish future ...

#meritocracy

I find it odd that you dont have some medical anecdotes on why they shouldnt.

Backed up by science and a smugness only I can match.

:lol:
Is drone pilot a combat position?

Weed said:

I find it odd that you dont have some medical anecdotes on why they shouldnt.

Backed up by science and a smugness only I can match.

:lol:

Is drone pilot a combat position?

It's not there ...

Women lean towards more slow-twitch muscle fibers than males, which is different, not inherently better or worse ...

Women have better access to fat stores for endurance, an advantage ...

Mostly ... I got nothing, really.

Most of any disparity that's prevalent is a result of social pressures, from men, and from other women too ...

grantmichaels said:

I got forced to switch to the girls team when I was ~13 because some mom made a stink about me taking a spot on the boys team when there was a girls team I could play for... mind you, there were try outs for the team and I went through the same process as everyone else... but in her defense if the situation was reversed there is probably no way they'd let a boy play on a girls team. 

Rawkstah said:
I got forced to switch to the girls team when I was ~13 because some mom made a stink about me taking a spot on the boys team when there was a girls team I could play for... mind you, there were try outs for the team and I went through the same process as everyone else... but in her defense if the situation was reversed there is probably no way they'd let a boy play on a girls team. 

Yeah ... like so many others things, it's a manifold problem ...

Are they going to have to take the same physical fitness test?

grantmichaels said:

It's not there ...

Women lean towards more slow-twitch muscle fibers than males, which is different, not inherently better or worse ...

Women have better access to fat stores for endurance, an advantage ...

Mostly ... I got nothing, really.

Most of any disparity that's prevalent is a result of social pressures, from men, and from other women too ...

I just want to point out that you gave some physical differences, not all, then said everything is because of social pressures.

Back