• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Essegi 2016: yellow ftw!

Ok, that year i thought: should i care about the hottest and meanest pods if the ones i like most are ones with not so extreme heat profiles? And since i miss so many classics i didn't bother with new crosses.
Yellow also are so good. 3 supers i have are all yellow (they just tastes better).

This time i try with Pepperlover. Nothing against Semillas that was my supplier and has been a great one, i just like to try different vendors. Here my seeds: 
TNcK1eV.jpg

Chinense: Yellow Bhut Jolokia, Yellow Trinidad Scorpion, Trinindad 7 Pod Original Yellow, Datil.
Pubescens: Locato (PI 387838)
Annuum: Wild Tepin, Stuffed Red Giant, Hot Beads, Hot Salsa.

Last 2 were freebies... I'm not sure what Hot Salsa is. Also Stuffed Red Giant is not hot but it looked epic so i'll grow that as non hot pepper.

Probably i'll grow at max 10 per type and the rest of seeds to 2 friends of mine. Except Locato that i've started today and used all seeds. First time with pubescens, so i took the easiest to grow. I'll start Chinense in a month more or less and after another various annuums.

I've also seeds of Yellow Cherry and some dried peppers from Thailand. I don't know if i'll just start for friends or if i'll keep some since i don't know if i have the usual place to plant or not. For sure that Thailand peppers are good, great taste and pretty hot:

Also, from 2015 peppers from Calabria are still alive:

Weather is very wet and a bit cold (temps went below 0°C on some nights), guess they'll die sooner or later but are keeping strong.

And this is Goat's Weed:

Maybe it will survive, it still looks very good.

I've given my Aji Amarillo plant to a friend that put it on ground with a specie of greenhouse, i hope it will survive.

Today i've started all Locato seeds, 16:

Random shot of Radicchio (Lusia and Verona):

Today also i've bottled some olives from my tree.
Not much but nearly all good... When harvested i've discarded just a tiny bit, today other 3, the rest were good.
I've bathed them with water change everyday for 55 days with a bit of salt on water.

Here also spices:

All dried: Bay tree leaves, garlic, Caramel Moruga, Yellow Cherry (or something really close), To dry garlic i've sliced it thin and used some salt, result has been good.
Also i use some oregano.

Here olives:

I tasted one, it was good, bitter has gone away (not that i expected otherwise, 55 days of washing are a lot).

I used standard salamoia, 90g of salt per 1 L of water. I've boiled 2 L of water, after turning off fire i've put salt and let it cool overnight and bottled that morning.

Just 4 jars:

Guess they'll be ready in 2 months.

Last year I thought to have all black peppers I could find, or orange, or only tall plants ecc. So I like your idea to go with yellow.
I'll follow!

In bocca al lupo per la stagione appena partita!

Paolo

FreeportBum said:
Everything looks great, good to see you back posting. Been cooking anything good? Even if it's not spicy :)
Thanks Bum! Not cooking so much lately (not to mention i still don't cook hot). I made a good pizza, with hulled wheat and manitoba, just to finish some flour... It was an excellent mix.
Then with friends we tried to make hamburgers, we just bought minced meat, mixed with walnuts (this helps to be softer), then mixed some with dried tomatoes and asiago, some with peppers and onions, some with apple and asiago, some just peppers. All was great.

But i've eaten something rly cool those 2 weeks: Beccaccia (Eurasian woodcock). Here they call the queen of wild games... A relative had 12 of those, he cooked them for 4 hours and half with a 4 spiining spit + pork in middle in fireplace... And fried polenta. Polenta was even better! :D Too bad i hadn't my camera, all looked spectacular. Also cooking was excellent, soft and not uncooked.
Also yesterday to my uncle, he cooked hare, made ragù with homemade pappardelle and stew with polenta. He said that it took a week to treat it. While maybe beccaccia is more "deluxe", hare is insanely good and i like it much more. Probably best stew ever eaten.

az1000 said:
Good luck.
Thanks!

grispa72 said:
Last year I thought to have all black peppers I could find, or orange, or only tall plants ecc. So I like your idea to go with yellow.
I'll follow!

In bocca al lupo per la stagione appena partita!

Paolo
Grazie altrettanto!
Yellows are so good! :D

Essegi said:
Thanks Bum! Not cooking so much lately (not to mention i still don't cook hot). I made a good pizza, with hulled wheat and manitoba, just to finish some flour... It was an excellent mix.
Then with friends we tried to make hamburgers, we just bought minced meat, mixed with walnuts (this helps to be softer), then mixed some with dried tomatoes and asiago, some with peppers and onions, some with apple and asiago, some just peppers. All was great.

But i've eaten something rly cool those 2 weeks: Beccaccia (Eurasian woodcock). Here they call the queen of wild games... A relative had 12 of those, he cooked them for 4 hours and half with a 4 spiining spit + pork in middle in fireplace... And fried polenta. Polenta was even better! :D Too bad i hadn't my camera, all looked spectacular. Also cooking was excellent, soft and not uncooked.
Also yesterday to my uncle, he cooked hare, made ragù with homemade pappardelle and stew with polenta. He said that it took a week to treat it. While maybe beccaccia is more "deluxe", hare is insanely good and i like it much more. Probably best stew ever eaten.

Thanks!

Grazie altrettanto!
Yellows are so good! :D
Sounds like you have been eating very well! The hare ragu with homemade pappardelle sounds amazing. I wanted to make a duck ragu with homemade pasta this week but I could not find any fresh duck locally so it will have to wait until next week. Cheers

Love olives and yours look really appetising .... your right about the woodcock being the queen of game at this time of year in the UK the country estates are holding pheasant shoots as the beaters drive the pheasants to the guns the odd woodcock is also driven out. It is acceptable to try and shoot it but they travel like little missiles. If your lucky to bag one a tail feather is pulled and displayed in your cap it's quite an achievement to shoot one and not a beater as the fly head height

Nice selection of chillies ... all the best for 2016

Thanks FB and Trident!
Good luck with duck, FB! I believe you won't be disappointed!

Yesterday there was my fitst Locato!
I wanted to take a detailed photo with stacks but there was a tiny worm, barely noticeable. So i assembled that gif instead:

F48qEQX.gif

I'll see next days when plant is stronger and maybe that thing bigger.

Out of interest, i baked some bread... SInce i don't really know how to make it i start from pizza dough since pizza bread is good.
My experiment was with water roux or Tangzhong, more info here: http://www.recipies.50webs.com/Bread%20Making.htm
Basically you need to mix 1 part of flour and 5 of water and heat to 150F. Since i can't measure that i stop when it starts to be a gelatine. Then add to the recipe.
You need to wait that to cool, i didn't so dough was really sticky.
That makes the bread softer but with smaller cavites, so it shouldn't be so good for pizza.

I used 125g of water, 25 g of flour for roux. 325g water, 100g durum wheat, 400g medium flour, 2,8g of beer yeast, 12g salt, 20g evo. 11+3 hours of rising... And it rised like 4 or 5 times... Cooked fast, 20 mins at more or less 525F.

nrxe7Fw.jpg

fYvkl2H.jpg

Cookin was excellent and bread really good. Ccrust color is not homogenous cause temp was too high for that but i was surprised that this temp for that time worked so well.

Wow sprouts  :dance:  ... that's so good to see...
wish you good luck with the grow! Let's hope for a steady summer this year huh ?

gotta dig up that growbox of mine to start planting soon
:woohoo:

Back