• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Pizza Kettle maiden voyage

image.jpeg

First time making pizza with the Pizza Kettle. Fire is started and I am going to let it heat up the stone for about half hour. I hope my dough holds up to the higher heat.

That is COOL!!!!   Looking forward to see how the pizza comes out.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pizza #1

image.jpeg

Pizza #2

It was an ok first attempt. I normally cook this dough at 500f. These were cooked at 700f +. There was a noticeable difference in our opinion. The bottom burnt too quickly at the higher temps. From what I have read I am pretty sure I have to use a different dough recipe for the higher temps. The fire is a combination of coal and wood and we did like the flavor that was noticeable from the wood.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Lost in translation
Important part is that:

00 flour medium strength, like W240
durum wheat 20% (with that i mean something like 800g flour+200durum wheat)
water 59% (% of flour+wheat weight)
salt 50 g per liter of water
fresh beer yeast 3 grams per liter of water
evo 50 grams per liter of water

Balls of 160g (can be more, can be less, probably better less)
Rising: form balls immediately then 19 hours fridge + 5 outside.

Use rolling pin.
Cook 2-3 mins.

Essegi said:
Important part is that:00 flour medium strength, like W240durum wheat 20% (with that i mean something like 800g flour+200durum wheat)water 59% (% of flour+wheat weight)salt 50 g per liter of waterfresh beer yeast 3 grams per liter of waterevo 50 grams per liter of waterBalls of 160g (can be more, can be less, probably better less)Rising: form balls immediately then 19 hours fridge + 5 outside.Use rolling pin.Cook 2-3 mins.
Thanks. I am pretty sure Pic1 posted a recipe as well for the higher temps. I wanted to try it out while the weather permits. 70f in December is unheard of here. Next time I will hopefully have the right dough for the job.

Congrats on the test.

It's important to note that with a WFO the fire is in the back, and you quarter turn the pizza as it cooks. The heat hits it from the side and top mostly, the oven floor is not as hot. Fire directly under can cause pies to burn for sure and a stone that hot is surely going to burn a crust imo. I'd shoot for lower temps. Let the coals grey and go for an even 350-500 maybe. This really doesn't mimic WFO, this is grilled pizza, so I would stay away from WFO temps.

Back