• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting How long for ferment to lower pH

Do you think I can get away with a week?
Innoculated with some pickle juice.
Need some chrismas presents, the last batch didn't make enough! :)

Depends on how big the batch and how active the lab.  I don't think a week will get all the sugars fermented.  Can always pull and process with a bit of vinegar if you need it quickly though. :)

Gotta wait for the bubbles to subside.

That is actually a good idea. Process with vinegar, simmer, food mill, bring it off at 190-200 degrees. Bottle, cap, invert. Shrink wrap.

Great answers and all apply. How long it's going to take for the LAB to get done with your mash is dependent on how much sugar there is in there for them to consume. The more sugars, the longer it will take so if you've included any fruit in the mash...

If you want to only give it a week to ferment then as dragonsfire suggested find a really warm place to put it. LAB can handle up into the 90's dF. If the pickle juice your using is from Lacto Fermented Pickles then you'll be helping it with a starter, if it's just pickle juice from a jar of store bought pickles then your probably just adding Vinegar and Water. You'll be better off using some Whey from a tub of Plain Yogurt with an Active Culture.

At the end of the 7 days, check the Ph. If your below 4.0 your golden. If not then use something like Rice Vinegar which has a very mild flavor to lower the Ph. below 4.0 and process it. 

Best of luck with it, Cheers

SmokenFire said:
Depends on how big the batch and how active the lab.  I don't think a week will get all the sugars fermented.  Can always pull and process with a bit of vinegar if you need it quickly though. :)

Agree. Don't skip the "processing" part; you need to stop the ferment when bottled.

From a totally different perspective ---- why ferment? I've been known to ferment a time or two but, due to your tight time constraints, why not just cook a sauce and bottle it? You can be done with it in an afternoon.

Just sayin'.

Something about adding vinegar feels like cheating, can't let it go :*(
It also seems healthier even if you kill them, from liberating nutrients.
the pickle juice was from LAB pickples so it should start quick.
We'll see!

Cool, it should be Rocking like a hurricane in no time then, well if there's still a good amount of viable LAB in the pickle juice. If the numbers are really down then you'll see. But if a delay as they reproduce but you already know that

Back