• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

CUT LIST 2016

Wicked Mike said:
Peruvian Serlano.
I grew those this year but won't next year. They were OK. There are tons on my almost list that haven't made it to my yes list (yet). Devil's Heart, Red Lava, Bolivian Bumpy Hab (grew this year & liked), Aji Omnicolor (grew & liked), Naga Viper, Naga Morich (grew & liked), CGN 21500 x Barrackpore, Bonda ma Jacques (grew & liked)...

coachspencerxc said:
I grew those this year but won't next year. They were OK. There are tons on my almost list that haven't made it to my yes list (yet). Devil's Heart, Red Lava, Bolivian Bumpy Hab (grew this year & liked), Aji Omnicolor (grew & liked), Naga Viper, Naga Morich (grew & liked), CGN 21500 x Barrackpore, Bonda ma Jacques (grew & liked)...
I picked up some Bonda Ma Jacques from Justin and everything I've heard has been very solid. Although you grew and liked it, anything in particular keeping it from the immediate Yes list?

For me, it's basically all super hots that are being cut and anything red. I'm over wintering a peach ghost that kicked out some nice pods but think that's as hot as I'll go. For reds, I just don't prefer the taste for how I make my sauce. They also don't have the same wow factor as yellow, peach, brown sauces as far as appearance goes.

I might grow one or two "Devil's Nostril" type exotics, just for the novelty appearance.

Other than that, I'm not planning to start any supers. My O.W. YBS, Red Moruga, and Red and Yellow Fatalii plants keep me warm enough.

I had about 150 varieties last year, only about 10 earned spots again.  Not that I didn't like a lot of those, just so many other new ones to try.  But I am not very likely to grow any red naga variations or red bhuts.  Just don't like the flavor of them.  Also 2 of my biggest disappointments last year that I though I would love were Yellow Primo and Yellow Butch T.  Just seemed too bland and lacking in heat, so no regrows of those.

jcw10tc said:
I had about 150 varieties last year, only about 10 earned spots again.  Not that I didn't like a lot of those, just so many other new ones to try.  But I am not very likely to grow any red naga variations or red bhuts.  Just don't like the flavor of them.  Also 2 of my biggest disappointments last year that I though I would love were Yellow Primo and Yellow Butch T.  Just seemed too bland and lacking in heat, so no regrows of those.
Wow. Total rehaul, huh? Looking forward to seeing this grow list. I grew yellow & orange Primo. Couldn't tell much difference & am growing orange again.
Got your seeds today. Thanks!

Havana Seasoning. My weather destroyed them and never got a pod. I yanked out the one that never even bloomed and the one that bloomed but never set is on thin ice. It doesn't look like it is growing well and might soon find itself in the bin while a Shattah or something replaces it. Havana Seasoning has a pretty narrow Goldilocks zone, pretty much just the climate of Cuba. Sad faces.

coachspencerxc said:
Wow. Total rehaul, huh? Looking forward to seeing this grow list. I grew yellow & orange Primo. Couldn't tell much difference & am growing orange again.
Got your seeds today. Thanks!
I planted orange last year, but they were yellow.  I got some new orange seeds hoping for the orange thats actually hot and a true orange.  The ones I had were very similar to the yellow primos, which for me were very forgettable.  Rought draft of the grow list in my profile.  I'm afraid its more likely to grow than shrink, but some on there will need cut out probably.  

Scuba_Steve said:
Bishops crown, starfish, white mystery, and jamaican mushroom.

Almost no heat, and the flavor wasn't worth it to me.

No Starfishies?   :shocked:

Sure they're wimpy, but they're also one of the few peppers I can give people with the promise that "they won't be too hot."  They're crunchy and, IMO, pretty tasty too.

Good topic Florisa.  If you are ever in Ventura County look me up for a trade.

I put some things in the seed starter and gonna pull the plug on several.  Red and Yellow Manzano.  Sister Paprikas Alma and Nora :rolleyes:  Maybe a few more.  Concentrating on my Wilds.  I have enough great tasting red peppers in 2016 that I won't miss the Paprikas ( Fresno, Piment d' Espellete, Aleppo, Albanian Red Hot which is a cool embroidered pepper with good taste).  

chiltepin said:
Good topic Florisa.  If you are ever in Ventura County look me up for a trade.

I put some things in the seed starter and gonna pull the plug on several.  Red and Yellow Manzano.  Sister Paprikas Alma and Nora :rolleyes:  Maybe a few more.  Concentrating on my Wilds.  I have enough great tasting red peppers in 2016 that I won't miss the Paprikas ( Fresno, Piment d' Espellete, Aleppo, Albanian Red Hot which is a cool embroidered pepper with good taste).  
Thankyou for the generous offer!

I will not be growing any hot beads this year.  I was not a huge fan of that particular type of pepper.  Unfortunately I got a free bag of hot bead seeds from pepperlover when I ordered some other varieties to shake things up. :confused:

the chocolate fatalii i received from a trade are off the list. still have 2 plants overwintering and still harvesting pods but the pods seem more like the description of ethiopian berbere. pods are large, brown and taste like green beans but very low heat value.

done with burpees red habanero or actually their red/yellow habanero mix - every seed in the pack has only produced red habs.

manzano/rocoto are off the list, have 2 plants that are going on 4 years old and have yet to produce a pod, the plants seem to overwinter well and continue to survive but i won't be planting new ones.

No Aji peach sugarush, not sweet tasting bland taste
BBM its hot but bitter tasting
7 pot bubblegum no special taste
7 pot SR
Duffy's version of chocolate brain strain (I have Cappy's now)
Tom

Back