• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Has something to do with Lights!

So before i became a member i read these forums for a lot of the DIY techniques used for lighting fixtures. I cant thank all of you members enough for the knowledge you share.  Early today i was at work(I am 1 of a two man IT administration crew) browsing the interwebz with my counterpart (who is also into grows) and we stumble upon this little deal.

http://www.banggood.com/50-x-70cm-Photography-Studio-Bulb-Softbox-With-E27-Head-4-Head-Lamp-Socket-Holder-p-988308.html

You see he used to be a Photographer on the side, and has some of this equipment. Once he told me the cost and showed me this i though it might be useful for a beginning grower.
Now I'm only posting this because the last DIY fixture i built cost around 46 dollars to build a 6 bulb. Which you see below. 

20151128_105820_zpskojivhlb.jpg

That little setup is only 38$

Have any of you tried this yet? 

That will work for seedlings or lettuce but I think that's about it. Maybe a 400 watt hps is worth a look. Or a mars hydro LED.

R1dreamer said:
That will work for seedlings or lettuce but I think that's about it. Maybe a 400 watt hps is worth a look. Or a mars hydro LED.
Actually, i have used and still use both in some of my other experiments. The Mars Hydro Reflective series is still one of my favorites, and i'm still currently using it in my tent.
20151128_105813_zps5vbi1ia8.jpg

However, that DIY setup is 12 -100 watt 6500k bulbs. I had 2 of them out as i was trying something else. That light system produced these from seedling to this point in one of my tents.

FB_IMG_1448301375584_zpsgnmfobw5.jpg

At this point they were transferred outside to continue, and produced some really nice pods.

FB_IMG_1448301368864_zpsgp74gqqv.jpg

FB_IMG_1448301276441_zpsekeaz07l.jpg

15b914c7-60f6-4e6d-88b5-bf16b42d35a4_zpss35hv7e4.jpg

I see no reason why you couldn't get 8 bulbs in there. It should work just fine for a small grow for another beginner.  

I never been a huge fan of the CFL set ups because by the time you get them filled with bulbs you could of had a nice T5HO fixture and bulbs.

I've had some blackstar 240s from my canna days that where great but pricey. I've grown some really nice plants with them. but one thing I don't like is the manufacturer uses hot glue/rubbery adhesive to apply the wire connections and after a few years they start to come loose from dry rot. I had two go out simultaneously and solder doesn't like sticking to the board... not to mention there's 120 tiny screws to get the board off the heatsink to get to the wires. 

With that setup you would only be able to get 8 solo cups under there. 1 per bulb, anything away from the bulb will be insufficient. Unless you add those 1 to 2 extension mogul sockets to give you sixteen cfl's, but you will risk possible fire with that setup. I run a 250hps. It's a beast, if you keep your canopy the same height and keep the light 8 inches away.

I am a big fan of the LED's when growing indoors. I have to say that I have been happy with my Mars Hydro . But I just picked up some new LED's that I am loving. The 12 CFL setup is nice for seedlings. But I use a smaller LED fixture for my seedlings. And I just love it. Once the seedlings start to produce their 2nd or 3rd set of true leaves I get them over to my larger LED's. The small led fixtures where only 29.00 and they pump out the light!

It must just be me but reading all these lights threads is making my head spin... more acronyms than we use at work. all for a freaking light bulb

Back