• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting 2015 Mash

Thought I'd share a pic of all the mash I made from my '15 pods. A lot of these are all single pepper mashes i.e. all chocolate habs, mustard habs, peach ghost, BOC, yellow scotch, Baha goats (thanks Wicked Mike!), Infinity, Jonah yellow, bubblegum, etc. There's also a fair amount of multi pepper slurries in there -- mostly if I didn't have enough of one variety or if I thought the mix would be interesting.

These all get de-seeded before blending. To put it in perspective, the large jar up front is 80 choco habs. So we're talking hours and hours worth of deseeding but that's how I like to roll :dance:

Noah Yates said:
Nice stockpile of nuclear material!
Funny you say that since one of the early mashes is a mixture of ghosts and 7Pots and I only labeled it Plutonium Grade.

Think I might make a sauce out of one of these later on and can post the results for those that like pics. I usually let them age much longer but I'm itching for something new.

BigB said:
that's cool. how do you let the CO2 get released though?
I deseed, blend, jar, top with kosher salt, pressure cook. The cook kills any good or bad bacteria so you're not looking at a ferment with co2. It really is just an aged mash. I prefer this method since I can just keep them in the jars for years until I need one -- that's when they get really tasty. The aging mellows out the raw pepper taste and you actually end up with something deep and complex. I know this is a naughty word round some parts but I use vinegar for ph purposes. But, these do not scream vinegar, you're really getting tons of pepper punch. Anyhow, here's some pics. I did get a third almost full bottle but something about pics of bottles that aren't full turns me off lol.

Only other ingredients is just shy of 1/4tsp of xanthan gum and probably 1/2tsp roasted garlic powder -- The Spice House here in the Chicagoland area makes some great stuff.

This is the amount of vinegar, didn't want to lose any pepper goodness still in the jar.

Genetikx said:
The Spice House here in the Chicagoland area makes some great stuff.

Indeed they do.  I make the trip to their store on Wells about once a month.  Personal favs:  Lake Shore Drive seasoning, Bridgeport potato seasoning, guajillo chile powder.  

Great looking mashes you have there G.  :)

SmokenFire said:

Indeed they do.  I make the trip to their store on Wells about once a month.  Personal favs:  Lake Shore Drive seasoning, Bridgeport potato seasoning, guajillo chile powder.  

Great looking mashes you have there G.  :)
Thanks, means a lot coming from you. Let me know if you or anyone else has any feedback. Some crazy dude from MIA told me I need to try some of your sauce as well.

These are mainstays in my cabinet for chili. I also keep Sunny Oaxaca (ancho coffee rub) on hand for steaks.

Back