• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Bay Plants

Thought would start new topic so things did not get mushed up.

This guy believe it or not is over 20 years. Couple years ago I left the bathroom window open ( I have him sitting on the Toilet Tank) and it was at least -20 and I though I killed the plant, it shriveled up and all the stalks went brown and dried up. It withered up and I was realy sad. Put him out side and six months later I saw some shoots pop up from the soil. Repotted him and gave a good soak and hes come back :)

PC297243_BayPlant-1000_zpsvw2okycg.jpg

Very tasty plant. I use it a lot in stews, though they seem pretty slow growers. One of the few things my chickens don't eat.

I just bought one today in a 1 gallon pot for $9.95. It's about 15 inches tall. I love Bay Laurel in soups , stews and sauces. That one in the OP is a survivor.

Those leaves are delicious.  I spent a week in Florence Italy back in October, and all the villas overlooking the city were surrounded by massive bay laurel bushes.  A lot of them had been turned into 25 foot tall hedges. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Amazing in chili and meat sauces!
I've never used it in chili but I will try it now.
t0mato said:
Those leaves are delicious.  I spent a week in Florence Italy back in October, and all the villas overlooking the city were surrounded by massive bay laurel bushes.  A lot of them had been turned into 25 foot tall hedges. 
I'm going tom plant my Bay in a 15 gallon and make it the permanent home and container for its life. I don't want a big tree just one around 6 feet. 

Here are the pics from my 2 bay plants that are different types. The bigger one is a new type from Monrovia called an Emerald Wave Sweet Bay. Here is the description from the Nursery.

Plant Description
Wavy edged, emerald green leaves on a new, robust variety of sweet bay. Aromatic foliage can be used as a savory culinary seasoning. Slender, upright form grows slowly and gracefully into a small pyramidal tree. Ideal for shearing into formal hedge or topiary form. Great container specimen. Evergreen.

Attachments

• bay.JPG
    bay.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 65
  • bay1.JPG
    bay1.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 64
dragonsfire said:
Nice looking, now the taste test :)
yes its time for me to cook something lol. yesterday I was busy putting the Bay's into larger containers and planting 50 various pepper seeds and 20 tomato seeds.  

Back