• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

not Cumari do para?

I have a plant growing that I thought was cumari do para. I think it may have originated from a cloning but I am not certain. I will try to add pics later but what is rather interesting about this pepper, (which I just consumed one by the way) is that it differed in taste and heat from the other cumari do paras I have had in the past. This one had a strong up front chinense flavor but not as strong as in other pods. it also had much more fire in the front of the mouth (tip and sides of tongue radiating to the inside lips and at that point giving a numbing effect. Also, uncharacteristically I detected a hint of orange in the flavor profile. I have never gotten that from any of my other sampling of CDP.

I just transplanted it to a 3.5 gal container and will test another pod later when my palate is neutral again. I like CDP but this was also pleasing yet different.

Maybe my palate has just gotten more refined.

There are 2 "types" doing the rounds. One is very small and very concentrated in flavour, with a hint of tangerine IMO (the original one). The other is 3 times the size and basically a watered down version in terms of flavour, but not heat. The small one is boom, heat everywhere and gone quickly, the larger one blasts the inside of your mouth longer and in more specific places. I have pod photos, but it will take a while to find them. Damn you Photobucket, LOL!

This is the larger one. Best I can do for the smaller one is the review below the photo. And yes, it`s spelled wrong in the video. It should be Cumari do Para, as you spell it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbaAFQqEQAw

Ah, Thank you Nigel.

pic on the way.
20151230_184604.jpg

I like it! All my favourites are small podded C.chinense!

My opinion, for what it`s worth, that is you have some sort of hybrid of the original one. Just my 2 cents, though and there is zero evidence other than the way they look vs what I`ve grown a number of times (my seeds came from Brazil).

If it`s good, as you say, I`d grow it as you are doing, give it an asterisk and keep tabs on the generation number. Again, just what I`d do, not anything more. 

I will definitely do just that. I am about to try the second pod and see if everything I decribed from the first holds true for the second one.

Very hot the second one. Again tongue and lip burn and a definite tangerine taste. I was mistaken when I stated orange. And a real sinus clearer too. Quick peak and gone. Top of tongue is still a little searing though.

Semillas Seeds sells seed for a "Cumari" pepper in the C. chinense section of his pepper seeds. The photo very closely resembles the Cumari do Para photos in this thread. Does anyone know if this is the same variety ?

mikeg said:
Semillas Seeds sells seed for a "Cumari" pepper in the C. chinense section of his pepper seeds. The photo very closely resembles the Cumari do Para photos in this thread. Does anyone know if this is the same variety ?
I grew the Cumari from Semillas and they looked exactly like the ones in Nigel's picture.

the "cumari do para" I grew this summer where no where near that big, more like wild brazil size , bright yellow and hotter than I expected... rather hot but with a nice flavor. 

D3monic said:
the "cumari do para" I grew this summer where no where near that big, more like wild brazil size , bright yellow and hotter than I expected... rather hot but with a nice flavor. 
I grew some of those this year as well. A lot of the wild chinense peppers are full of flavor and pack a lot of heat in a many times very little pod. One I grew this year that really surprised me was the cap 501.

i'm going to be the "debbie downer" and say i didn't like the flavour of the cumari do para. now it may be my short growing season(even though most pods finish off in the house), perhaps my cool nights don't bring out a sweetness in the pods but for me the pods tasted like a gold bullet hab or the ordinary strong hab flavour. i put them on my do not grow list only because i can get the flavour from any number of pods(seeds from peppermania).....gold bullet is on my do not grow list too. however, quintisho grown along side of cumari delivered a far nicer flavour with sweetness.

again, just opinion based on my growing conditions, i would strongly recommend anyone not familiar with cumari do para to grow them.....i originally bought them because of the "fruit-loop" flavour hype.  of course taste buds may play a role; cumari pollux which grow like gangbusters for me taste like chiltepin - and i would grow them again.

good luck.

Back