• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Mushrooms

My King Oysters have come up and going quick, hes about 5 inches :)
Just have to figure out what to eat him with :D

P1017254_KingOyster-1000_zpsyevwnw31.jpg

They are easy to grow as long as the environment is fine, I used Natural Hard Wood Pellets, add water and they fall apart and expand into saw dust, add the culture, that's the simple explanations.
I did this as an experiment to show a guy how easy it was, I used the stumps from the mushrooms I bought at the store. Il post more pics from the beginning when I find them :)

dragonsfire said:
They are easy to grow as long as the environment is fine, I used Natural Hard Wood Pellets, add water and they fall apart and expand into saw dust, add the culture, that's the simple explanations.
I did this as an experiment to show a guy how easy it was, I used the stumps from the mushrooms I bought at the store. Il post more pics from the beginning when I find them :)

Yes, please post more.

Beautiful mycelial mat in the first pic! Cute and plump primordia too! Any true mycophile (me!) gets all smiley with a great picture of fluffy white mycelium or seeing strong rhizomorphic growth like your last pic. Last time I grew mushrooms (culinary/medicinal... & perhaps some 'others' :halo:  :shh: ) was over 15+ years ago. I was constantly hunting too... nothing like finding my first Morel! I was in the thick of it when the whole 'Peroxide TEK' was being hashed out and experimented with by growers all over the world. Good ol' days!

I'd love to start again sometime and really get into it. I always wanted to have a room dedicated just to such a project. I also wanted to try outdoor beds/ Shitake logs, etc.. Such a wide array of options and possibilities with growing fungal friends. Before peppers were even a thought in my mind it was the trading of spore prints and agar cultures! All the knowledge/know how and being up-to-date on everything in the OMC - 'Online Mushroom Community', I am certainly no more. I'd have to reeducate myself starting from point #1. Sure was fun (and like plants/gardening- can be very addicting! Just a friendly FYI  :cool: ) 

My wife freaked out yesterday when I asked her about growing our own mushrooms. She has heard of to many people dying eating bad mushrooms even though I told her I could grow the same ones we buy at costco lol. So I'll cross them off my grow list.

It is nice to grow your own like anything, a great sense of accomplishment. Yup some people have a phobia of mushrooms, just dont grow them in living quarters (actually depends on what ones) this one is in my living room, one just have to make sure they dont get to the spore stage if growing inside. Some people have a tent in the basement to grow them, I have some in the bathroom so they get steamed in the showers :)
The tech nowadays makes it easier to grow compared to 20 years ago. I have a sack of Rye that I want to use so will do a new project this month :)

Nicely done. Working on finding some nice hardwood logs this winter for an oyster grow myself. Good idea with the smoker pellets.

tctenten said:
What are you growing them in…almost looks like meringue.  If they are easy, I would like to give it a try

Almost?! It looks identical.

That was the first thing it came to my mind, then I noticed I was not in the "Food" section then I had to read further.

I'm fairly new to growing mushrooms. I'm currently working with some grey oysters, yellow oysters, shiitake and stropharia rugosoannulata. I'm growing on wooddust (shiitake), straw with soil (stropharia) and straw (oysters). I'm also planning to start a culture of pink oysters when the weather becomes warmer. I'll use coffee grounds and chopped hemp for that one (because I have that readily available for my chicken coop and because it has phytosanitary properties - straw is relatively hard to come by due to the seasonal timing.. or you have to buy 10+ bales which is a bit much).

I can get mycelium/liquid cultures for others like normal mushrooms, pioppino, enoki, king oyster, nameko, buna-shimeji, comb tooth, maitake, eryngii, pink oyster, etc so I'm willing to give those a try if this grow works out well. So far I only grew normal white/brown mushrooms. Finally working in biotech has some perks.

Back