• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Airflow and Temps During Germination

I wanted to start germinating some pepper seeds in damp coffee filters. I had planned on using a heat mat, but I read somewhere that it reads the ambient temperature and tries to raise it 10-20 degrees and unless you're using it in a boxed off area it'll try to heat up a cold room and burn itself out. I wasn't sure if that was true or not, but I didn't want to chance it. So I set up a heat lamp while the heat mat thermostat I ordered is in transit. This setup works perfectly. The air temperature inside the plastic container is 85F round the clock (I stabbed a yogurt thermometer in there for easy reading). The only drawback is the light it puts out disturbs me when I'm trying to get to bed (it's in my bedroom).

But I digress. I have two important questions regarding germination:

1) Should I cycle day/night temps or leave it at a constant 85F?

This isn't covered in the FAQ and I've read conflicting information all from reputable sources.

2) Should I air out and/or allow more air to the seeds?

The bags are open, but they're folded over so not much air is being exchanged. Do you air out seeds when germinating like this, or is that only in soil to prevent "damping out"?

On a somewhat related note: I've got 8 bhut seeds and substantially more "pepper Caribbean red" and "pepper cayenne long slim" seeds presently. I'd very much like something more exotic. I've noted the recommend suppliers, but there are so many peppers. Can anyone recommend any favorites of theirs for a fledgling grower? Any level of heat or even sweet would be fine.

Thanks for any input.

Personally some of my favorites are the Brazilian Starfish, Aji Fantasy, or 7 Pot Madballz. The Aji and the Starfish both have mild heat, but awesome flavor. Almost fruity/sweet. For a new grower i would definitely recommend the Aji Fantasy since is Germs super fast (I paper towel'd mine in two days) its easy to grow, and it produces a ton of pods. Plus it is a rarer pepper plant. Only thing is with the Aji Fantasy you'd need to cage it as it tends to get so many pods on it it'll break branches. As far as germ goes ive always just kept a constant 70 degrees for all my seedlings until they germ and ive never had a problem. That being said i use a heating pad. As far as aeration is concerned the seedlings should be fine without airflow, just open them up every couple of days to check for germ.

Also forgot to note, take a look at my seed trade list if theres anything that peaks your interest just let me know and i can sends some seeds you way

I use heat mats in my basement where air temps are 65 to 70 with no issues.  I germinate similar to you.  I put in paper towels in a ziploc and keep them zipped tight, no air.  I keep the tray elevated above the heat mat as the seeds will cook otherwise, will get 110+ in there.  I have always done this way, but once I start my big planting later this month might do more direct into soil.  I know most do it this way, but I never had good luck with that.

If you need any seeds, let me know have 150 varieties at least I can share.  

IMG_20160102_130441730_zpslzyalqow.jpg

mpicante said:
Ive had success with this germination method.I simply place it on top of the refrigerator and in a week almost all pop!!!
That's good to know. I'm interested to see what the temperature is above my refrigerator (it's relatively cold area). That does tell me that a constant temperature is probably okay. The reason I asked this initially is because the Redwood City Seed Company's site suggests 80-85F during the day, then room temperature at night. That seems inconsistent with what I've read elsewhere, but they are an established company that's been around for decades. I guess both ways work.

jcw10tc said:
I use heat mats in my basement where air temps are 65 to 70 with no issues.  I germinate similar to you.  I put in paper towels in a ziploc and keep them zipped tight, no air.  I keep the tray elevated above the heat mat as the seeds will cook otherwise, will get 110+ in there.  I have always done this way, but once I start my big planting later this month might do more direct into soil.  I know most do it this way, but I never had good luck with that.

rkempston said:
Personally some of my favorites are the Brazilian Starfish, Aji Fantasy, or 7 Pot Madballz. The Aji and the Starfish both have mild heat, but awesome flavor. Almost fruity/sweet. For a new grower i would definitely recommend the Aji Fantasy since is Germs super fast (I paper towel'd mine in two days) its easy to grow, and it produces a ton of pods. Plus it is a rarer pepper plant. Only thing is with the Aji Fantasy you'd need to cage it as it tends to get so many pods on it it'll break branches. As far as germ goes ive always just kept a constant 70 degrees for all my seedlings until they germ and ive never had a problem. That being said i use a heating pad. As far as aeration is concerned the seedlings should be fine without airflow, just open them up every couple of days to check for germ.

Also forgot to note, take a look at my seed trade list if theres anything that peaks your interest just let me know and i can sends some seeds you way
Thanks for the suggestions! I've gotten a few offers from other members. I do like the idea of trading, but I have no seeds to trade.

The only thing I have to offer that I think anyone here would find remotely appealing is computer-related (I fix computers, phones, etc.). If someone would like I could work with them through PMs to review their programs and startup items and help trim the fat as well as a few other tricks to speeds things up in exchange for sending me a few packets of seeds (their pick).

rkempston said:
I never said trade. Most members here do donations for people just getting into the hobby or people who just show passion. So lemme rephrase, take at a look at my seed trades and pick anything off there and its yours for free.

I know you never said trade; I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. It's just in this day and age it's rare to find people who would offer something for nothing in return, but maybe this community is just full of generous, helpful people. I'd graciously accept some seeds if you have some extra. You have an interesting assortment there. Many of them look to be hybrids. Aside from pictures and scoville ratings I really have no idea how they differ at a glance. I'd be ecstatic if you could send me some of whichever varieties you have the most of. If you're serious, let me know and I'll PM you my address.

In browsing into the older threads in this subforum I came across some of the ones that included pictures of your basement setup. Very cool!

On a related note the thermostat came today and I've swapped my setup from a heat bulb to a mat. The nice thing about the bulb is the temperature is very consistent, but the light is annoying when I'm trying to sleep. With the mat and thermostat the fluctuation is greater and cyclical (± ~2.5F). I've set it to 80F. It dips down below that before it turns the mat back on, then after it shuts it off at 80F there's still heat transfer, so it'll go up to ~83F before it starts to fall. If the thermostat somehow fails it could cook the seeds, but fingers-crossed I'm just needlessly worrying. It should be more energy efficient too (18W and only on occasionally vs 50W constant (though the thermostat itself must have some draw). Anyway, it's probably overkill and I'm needlessly rambling, so here's a picture (I'll straighten up another time):

You should be fine with that setup. I mean i just use a heat pad made for your body and it never gets too hot for the seeds. Go ahead and PM me your address and ill send some seeds your way. Any Particular SHU you're looking for? 

rkempston said:
You should be fine with that setup. I mean i just use a heat pad made for your body and it never gets too hot for the seeds. Go ahead and PM me your address and ill send some seeds your way. Any Particular SHU you're looking for? 
That's actually a pretty solid idea. I think I have one somewhere too. If the thermostat craps out it won't cook the seeds if I have it set up right.

I sent you a PM

Every heat mat needs a thermostat. Or your just cooking instead of germinating.
jcw10tc said:

Why not just get a thermostat for your mat for 15.00?

1) Should I cycle day/night temps or leave it at a constant 85F?

Well its just my experienece, but "chinenses" and "anuums" germinated better with a constant temperature, while my "baccatums" needed a day / night circle to germinate.

Back