• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Lighting brands

What lighting brands do you guys use/prefer? do you just buy lights from local hardware store, if so what should you look for?

I run a 250hps with a 22"x25" glass hood. I ballast supports the metal halide bulb too, but I don't run it, because it heats up too much. I would have to move it farther from my canopy and loose lumens.
The hps bulb is great. Very little warm heat.

Lovepeppers said:
I run a 250hps with a 22"x25" glass hood. I ballast supports the metal halide bulb too, but I don't run it, because it heats up too much. I would have to move it farther from my canopy and loose lumens.
The hps bulb is great. Very little warm heat.
nice, I am only using one strip t5 bulb 2200 lumens but im only growing 3-4 plants in small space so hopefully im fine until last frost.

I think it should keep your plants alive. They probably won't set any fruit, but since you plant to put them out after the frost I think you will be just fine.

Are the plants big? small? or, overwintered (cut back)? Just curious.

I've been using a 180w Blackstar LED for the last few years. Does the trick for me. Used plain fluro's in the past and had decent results.

Neil

mrgrowguy said:
I think it should keep your plants alive. They probably won't set any fruit, but since you plant to put them out after the frost I think you will be just fine.

Are the plants big? small? or, overwintered (cut back)? Just curious.
Still waiting on seeds to get here should be germinating them in the next couple days though!, not expecting for plants to fruit with setup just need to use it until last frost!

What type of fixture; Fluorescent, HID, LED?

Fluorescent and HID, I would look at the internals, i.e. the ballast(s), sockets, lamps to be sure they are from top tier manufacturers; e.g. General Electric, Sylvania/Osram, Philips, Universal/Triad, Leviton, to name a few.

LED fixtures might be a little more difficult to determine quality components.

First year growing I didn't use lights at all, just put them in a south facing window (they got really leggy)
Next year growing I used a bunch of CFL and LED bulbs (they still got fairly leggy)
The following year I used unbranded T5s (they did much better than previous years, but plants were still not as compact as I would have liked). The T5s were poor quality and I had to replace the ballasts and bulbs several times (never using them again!).
Last year I used a 384w LED from Mars Hydro (old model) and had awesome results.
This year I will be using the 384W LED and additional 300W LED from Mars Hydro (newer, but still older than their latest models) as I am growing more plants this year (not just peppers).

This should be posted in "Grow Tech"  where: "Discuss lights, heaters, irrigation systems, greenhouses, and DIY solutions. Show off your inventions!"

willard3 said:
This should be posted in "Grow Tech"  where: "Discuss lights, heaters, irrigation systems, greenhouses, and DIY solutions. Show off your inventions!"
sorry yes i noticed that will start to post in there.

Back