• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

greenhouse new to a greenhouse and hot peppers

Just bought a greenhouse, 10 long 7 wide 6 tall.. i have never grown in a greenhouse before and I'm looking to grow a variety of hot peppers this year. I took a shot at it last year when i lived in ohio and then moved to nc after mid season and could only take a couple of plants with me... so that being said i am relatively new to this. I know last year transplanting them and taking them 500 miles pretty well shocked my plants i did take and took them forever to recoup. Shouldn't have that this year!

I now live in nc and the only place i can put my garden is in my upper drive way because that is the only place i get sunlight throughout most of the day. What all do i need to watch when i am growing in a greenhouse? Are there at certain temps that i should me looking for or humidity levels? I'm going to create my own mister by taking a hose and popping a bunch of pin holes with a large sowing needle to try and keep cost down. But what all should i think about putting in it.

Right now the list of peppers i have are peach ghost scorpions, scotch bonnets, white carolina reapers, red carolina reapers, red ghost peppers, white ghost peppers, devils tongue, peter peppers, chocolate scorpion, and habaneros... Should be a fun growing season.

need  to watch temps can get really hot in a greenhouse if you don't have an intake / exhaust aka open a window.
In the summer you will have to leave the door open or open more windows or sides whatever you got. 100f outside means its like 120+ in greenhouse (this hurts the plants)

Putting a couple of fans near the entrance blowing on the plants would be benificial wouldn't it? Helping to keep the plants cool but also providing some wind to help strengthen the stems? Or am i wrong on that

kieansdad said:
Putting a couple of fans near the entrance blowing on the plants would be benificial wouldn't it? Helping to keep the plants cool but also providing some wind to help strengthen the stems? Or am i wrong on that

Yep, definitely beneficial and yes, you are correct :)
No idea what your climate is like in North Carolina?, cause I'm over the other side of the world :P but the other benefit of a greenhouse is that it will extend your growing season!

Summers are hot, mildly humid, bit of rain but a living sunshine. In the winters our normal lows are 40 to 50 at dat and low 30s at night. Any idea a good temp to star in a greenhouse for small plants. I a going to start then inside

I just did the same thing. I ordered a 10 x 8 and live here in San Antonio Texas and I've never used a greenhouse before. I need to get a rain trap as well since my plants won't be getting rained on in there

you can take milk jugs (or any jug you can stack), paint them black on the wall of the greenhouse that gets the most sun....the mass of the water makes a great heat sink and will slowly release the heat during the night...

if there is any way you can get a thermostat with a remote sensor you can hang in the greenhouse, and run an electric heater to keep your temperatures warm...of course warm is a relative term....you need 84-86F constant to germinate seeds but once they have popped and have been transplanted, they can stand a lower temperature and still grow well...

I may try and dust off my "grow-rage" this year...

Right now i have them germinating in starter pots.They have been going for about 4 days now so i should start seeing something soon. They are on a heating pad 24/7 right now. I have solo cups on stand by with a t8 light with some 1900 grow bulbs under it so 3800 Lum total. Have everything set up to raise and lower my lights ready just waiting on my babies to pop now. I will set my greenhouses up sometime mid February. I decided to get two so total i will have 20 x 14 x 12 growing space

AlabamaJack said:
you can take milk jugs (or any jug you can stack), paint them black on the wall of the greenhouse that gets the most sun....the mass of the water makes a great heat sink and will slowly release the heat during the night...

if there is any way you can get a thermostat with a remote sensor you can hang in the greenhouse, and run an electric heater to keep your temperatures warm...of course warm is a relative term....you need 84-86F constant to germinate seeds but once they have popped and have been transplanted, they can stand a lower temperature and still grow well...

I may try and dust off my "grow-rage" this year...

Great to hear from you, AJ!

I grow in a greenhouse since my temps here (average temp is 72) don't get warm enough for peppers.  They do heat up quickly.  Even in the winter, if it's slightly sunny, the greenhouse can get into the 90s quickly (even though outside temps can be 50s).  Since your summer is mildly humid, misting can help with cooling the greenhouse down. Fans will help too. This is my first winter with peppers.  I don't heat my greenhouse.  I want to see how they do.  So far, it's gotten as low as 30 (several nights 32/34).  A few peppers got some damage (a branch or two).  No complete lost of a single plant yet, not even seedlings.  Knock on wood. The size of my greenhouse might have been a factor of no major damage/lost.  It's 60 x 30. The other thing is we haven't gotten any hard frost yet.  Outside night temps haven't dropped below 30. 

Good luck with your new adventure.

2015 was my first year with a walk in green house, so can only give the smallest amount of observation.  Before I had to use heat, I got a bit more than a month extension on the tail end of the season.  Did not get mold, but did have a huge amount of condensation towards the end of the season.  So much that walking around in the thing it would sometimes feel like a light rain.  Planning better ventilation for 2016.

Will be fun to compare notes with other folk new to green houses.  Gotta admit it is very exciting to extend the season.  Hoping I can do it at both ends.  You?

I am very much excited for this seasons grow. I finally have my greenhouse set up and it is just barely talk enough for me to stand in lol. I'm hoping my plants get big just not as big as a friend of mines got last year. His reaper, ghosts and yellow scorpion plants all were hitting nearly 10 feet tall last year. The guy was having 20+ lb harvests every time he pulled off of them. Stinking crazy. Unfortunately my house wouldn't support that lol.

I agree aj, it would be nice to share some pointers. Just turned the lights on on my florescents today, have a few seeds germinate and working their way up now!

kieansdad said:
Summers are hot, mildly humid, bit of rain but a living sunshine. In the winters our normal lows are 40 to 50 at dat and low 30s at night. Any idea a good temp to star in a greenhouse for small plants. I a going to start then inside
Mildly humid? If you say so. I've lived in NC all of my life. Summer is gross. :)
Welcome to THP... and NC.

Back