beer brew kit expiration?

I got a homebrew kit for a gift almost exactly 1 year ago. I just finally got the inspiration to give it a try but I don't have the first clue about brewing (drinking I have tons of experience) and there are no expiration dates on any of the ingredient packets. 

Should I give it a try? Even if it tastes like garbage at least I get some brewing experience but I just don't want my first beer to kill me.

Good chance the yeast is past its prime. I would imagine that the extract is still good, assuming it's an extract kit. But yeah, it would be a good experience to give it a shot though. I would recommend getting some new yeast though if you have a place close by you could get it. You can order it on line too.

any pathogens that would kill you cant grow in beer so you are good there

Its going to taste old, and metallic, and thin, but it will be beer, like ozzy said as long as you change out your yeast you will make something that resembles beer

Man, you can get Extract Ale kits from Northern Brewer for as little at $27. I'd throw the one you have away and get a new kit to brew. If you going to put the time into making it you should be able to enjoy it too. 

Life's to short to drink skunky beer!

RocketMan said:
Man, you can get Extract Ale kits from Northern Brewer for as little at $27. I'd throw the one you have away and get a new kit to brew. If you going to put the time into making it you should be able to enjoy it too. 

Life's to short to drink skunky beer!

Did you just suggest not going through the AG motions in order to use extract, in a thread Wheebz is already participating in? =)

Wheebz is too nice to you.

Haha ..
Ozzy2001 said:
Yeah, but chances are you'll mess something up so you might as well mess up on the old stuff. Still buy a new kit though, and do that one after :)

This.

grantmichaels said:

Did you just suggest not going through the AG motions in order to use extract, in a thread Wheebz is already participating in? =)

Yeah, well he needs to start in something simple he should do that old one then after its complete and ready to bottle dump it and start his new one to the process are driven home and he has something drinkable to sip on and enjoy while he learns AG brewing.

I brewed a DIPA extract kit with specialty grains that I had gotten in 2012 as a gift this past Fall. It was about 2 years expired. I found it while cleaning a closet, and brewed it anyway. It came out tasting just fine. You should brew that old kit!

Thank you all for the replies! I'm going to give it a try this weekend. I'm not afraid of a bad beer, I've had more than a few in my day :)  Once I bought a beer ( I believe it was called Brew City) because it was $6 for a whole case. I found out why. If I can't finish a case of beer then it must be horrendous! 

I will definitely take the recommendation to find some new yeast. I'll let you all know how it turns out

The yeast packet usually has an expiration date printed on it. Dry yeast usually has a good 2-3 years while in the packet. Check the expiration date on the packet of yeast itself before you buy more yeast. That's what I would do, since you are already brewing an old kit anyway. If the yeast is past expiration, then you might want to buy more.

The (presumably unfrozen) hops might very well turn out a parmesan smell, but it's still worth going through the motions on the kit ... with guarded expectations!

There is actually no expiration dates on any of the ingredients packets or in the instructions or on the box. It is a dry yeast packet so maybe it will be fine. Maybe if I get sick on bad beer I can sue them haha!

grantmichaels said:
The (presumably unfrozen) hops might very well turn out a parmesan smell, but it's still worth going through the motions on the kit ... with guarded expectations!

I like Parmesan :) I used to drink St Pauli girl a lot which smelled like skunk but tasted great 

Not that my kit beer will compete with St Pauli girl :P

I just bought another 10 pack of dry wine yeast, and it has an expiration of November 2017. I would assume your yeast would still be good, since your kit was gifted a year ago.

I hope your first brew goes well! What kind of beer are you brewing BTW? Get ready, because brewing is extremely fun and addicting. Keep us updated on your brewing progress if you get a chance. There are some really experienced brewers on this forum that can give you plenty of pointers.

Back