276 replies to this topic

#261 stickman

stickman

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,014 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:27 AM

Yeesh... I don't like slugs either. Hopefully the damage hasn't been too bad. I got some maggots in about half of my Jalapenos this year... if it's not one thing, it's another, eh? :rolleyes:

The Hot Pepper... If self-immolation is your goal... we're here to help! Posted Image

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#262 Malarky

Malarky

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 03:12 PM

When you cut a slug in half both ends regenerate and you get 2 slugs ;-)

#263 Comptine

Comptine

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:37 AM

Yeesh... I don't like slugs either. Hopefully the damage hasn't been too bad. I got some maggots in about half of my Jalapenos this year... if it's not one thing, it's another, eh? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I guess, last year it was aphids. I think I'm starting to get the population down, I'm not seeing as many of them anymore. 

When you cut a slug in half both ends regenerate and you get 2 slugs ;-)

You do realise this isn't true... 

#264 tsurrie

tsurrie

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:10 AM

Damn slugs are overpopulating over here. Need to buy ducks or something... Someone should figure out how to make a fertilizer or something from slugs... :)

#265 Malarky

Malarky

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

You do realise this isn't true...

yeah I was just joking
Thankfully I haven't had to deal with too many slugs.

#266 Comptine

Comptine

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:12 AM

Sorry for the absence guys, I'll try to do an update best I can. I will need a bump later though. 

So, we had one frosty morning at the start of October, most plants actually survived it, I think two or three suffered quite a bit of damage. But since then we've not had temps below 2-3 degrees, which has been fine. We're not expecting the next frost until November now, which is really late for Sweden. Great for the plants though. I've been giving away lots of ripe fruit to friends, so I haven't had huge harvest pictures, but I'll show you what I do have. 

This was a quick 10 minute inspection where I picked off some ripe fruits. The Rio Huallaga is supposed to be yellow, which it isn't I just realised. There are two peppers on this picture I just can't remember what they were, one looks like a MOA. 

2016-10-132010.36.50_zpsptpg3ilz.jpg

I've finally bought a fruit dryer and have been processing the peppers. 

2016-10-14%2012.32.17_zpswolrxqqv.jpg

2016-10-14%2012.46.11_zps6isa2tt5.jpg

2016-10-14%2012.58.42_zpsnxo4avvs.jpg

Most peppers moved into the conservatory the night we were expecting frost. The house gives off just enough heat to give these guys a degree or two more at night. 

2016-10-05%2017.22.54_zpsogbvn2ic.jpg

Supposedly Bonda Ma Jacques, I think the pods look a bit off. 

2016-10-11%2011.27.24-1_zpswenlt5xg.jpg

MOA

2016-10-11%2011.28.02_zps2rctid30.jpg

Hab Hand Grenade Yellow (not particularly yellow though) 

2016-10-11%2011.28.11_zpsa9vstnfe.jpg

These 3L air pots were simply too small to give a decent crop of chinenses, I think they would have worked better for a fructesence type of pepper that yields a lot of small fruits. 

The Rio Huallaga grew quite large and has at least 30 (probably more) big and think fruits on it. 

2016-10-11%2011.27.33_zpsyy0fotgw.jpg

2016-10-11%2011.27.41_zpshtuu1txi.jpg

Bump please.

#267 stickman

stickman

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,014 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:37 AM

[attachment=43237:Yoda_bump.thumb.jpg

Here ya go Alana... how did you like the powder blend?

Attached Thumbnails

• Yoda_bump.thumb.jpg.ce600f8e48f73b85c003e3ab41c8fbc8.jpg

The Hot Pepper... If self-immolation is your goal... we're here to help! Posted Image

#268 Comptine

Comptine

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:47 AM

[attachment=43237:Yoda_bump.thumb.jpg

Here ya go Alana... how did you like the powder blend?

Cheers Rick! Haha, I added the power to some soup the other day, using a tiny amount, that stuff is hot! The heat didn't last long, but it might have been close to too spicy for me. I guess I need to build up my tolerance again. Did my seeds ever reach you? 

Continuing. 

The Locato Red has done well enough for my liking. It sort of got squished in with a few more aggressive pepper plants early on, but I'm happy to have a crop. 

2016-10-11%2011.27.50-1_zpsp0hkvjmz.jpg

The Rocoto Mini, somehow I expected these to mature quickly, but they took their sweet time. 

2016-10-11%2011.28.22_zpsgcuyhjvz.jpg

Trinidad Perfume, most pods are puny, but I did get a few medium sized ones with the correct shape. 

2016-10-11%2011.28.36_zpsk93m4scf.jpg

The (probably not) tabasco. Very pretty plant. 

2016-10-11%2011.28.47-1_zpsuz29fmrw.jpg

I like the way the takanotsume looks. 

2016-10-11%2011.28.53-1_zpsrgnrn2hl.jpg

The (not) Purple Pequin, lots of pods still on it, this was a great producer, pods slightly hotter than a cayenne. 

2016-10-11%2011.28.57-1_zps2kaop7au.jpg

My Habanero White Bullet. I keep breaking branches when I walk past it. Very aromatic. 

2016-10-11%2011.29.02_zpsa1zahdjl.jpg

My poor Brazilian Star fish, it was a late bloomer, I've not had a ripe pod yet, I'm hoping I get at least one. 

2016-10-11%2011.29.07_zpscikxumzn.jpg

The Malaysian Goronong, I love the look of these pods. 

2016-10-11%2011.29.18_zpsqcstl2iq.jpg

I have a few more plants in the greenhouse that I did not have pictures of. I'll have to snap them later. Now, I haven't tried all pods myself yet, but I have the intention to. I want to know how each one tastes for future reference. I'll also try to to a full write up on all the peppers I grew this year later. 

#269 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,413 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:07 AM

Great looking Plants!!

My Trinidad Perfume is about a bushy 5 inches, seam to be a slow grower.

#270 Rymerpt

Rymerpt

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,885 posts
  • aka:Ryme

Posted 23 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

Lovin all the pics
THANK YOU JESUS. PEPPER PEOPLE ROCK!!!!

#271 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,222 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:04 PM

Healthy looking plants! How is the flavor on the Rio Huallaga? I'm thinking of growing it next year.

#272 Trident chilli

Trident chilli

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts
  • aka:Trident

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:21 PM

Great update Alana looks by all those pods you have had a good season .... What you could do to try and get some colour on the Brazilian Star Fish is cut back any new growth and flowers ... I also reduce watering to a minimum almost shocking the plants into thinking their time is nearly up and they must produce fruit ... all the best for 2017 and thoughts on varieties

#273 tsurrie

tsurrie

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:47 PM

Very nice peppers you got there. The pics are great.

It looks like you had a great season and prolonging it well fighting those cold nights and days with moving the plants inside. No doubt you'll get a few more ripe pods that way.

(One of my last plants that still has more than 20 pods on it is Malaysian Goronong... they're ripe, and ready to be used. They're hotter than I expected too. Very nice chinense flavor and taste though. Maybe I'll make a sauce just out of them...)

Wishing you good luck and keep it up. Good work!

#274 Comptine

Comptine

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:13 AM

Great looking Plants!!

My Trinidad Perfume is about a bushy 5 inches, seam to be a slow grower.

Yeah, I find most chinenses to be very slow growers. But even though the fruits were small, I'm pleased about the quantity. 

Lovin all the pics

Cheers! 

Healthy looking plants! How is the flavor on the Rio Huallaga? I'm thinking of growing it next year.

I haven't gotten around to trying it yet actually. I need to get on that, I'll let you know! 

Great update Alana looks by all those pods you have had a good season .... What you could do to try and get some colour on the Brazilian Star Fish is cut back any new growth and flowers ... I also reduce watering to a minimum almost shocking the plants into thinking their time is nearly up and they must produce fruit ... all the best for 2017 and thoughts on varieties

I'm very pleased with my season this year, most plants produced, which is a lot more than they did last year. I'm still learning, but the curve wasn't as steep this time around. I'll definitely try cutting back on the starfish, I'd like to get at least one ripe pod to try out. I haven't really planned 2017 yet, but I still have a lot of SB's that you sent me last year and I didn't get a chance to grow this time. Some will definitely go on the list. 

Very nice peppers you got there. The pics are great.

It looks like you had a great season and prolonging it well fighting those cold nights and days with moving the plants inside. No doubt you'll get a few more ripe pods that way.

(One of my last plants that still has more than 20 pods on it is Malaysian Goronong... they're ripe, and ready to be used. They're hotter than I expected too. Very nice chinense flavor and taste though. Maybe I'll make a sauce just out of them...)

Wishing you good luck and keep it up. Good work!

Thank you! Yes, I believe taking them inside helped tremendously. I haven't tried the goronong yet, but I grew that one mostly because of the looks. 

#275 Devv

Devv

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,171 posts
  • aka:Scott

Posted 25 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

Good job this year! And may next season be even better!

It's all about the pods....

#276 PaulG

PaulG

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 10,086 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:35 PM

I agree with Scott, great grow this season.

Plants looking good inside!

:dance: Every Pod a Victory!  Life Force is Strong!

Pimenta de Neyde x Bonda Ma Jacques - Community Grow 

#277 OCD Chilehead

OCD Chilehead

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,521 posts
  • aka:Chuck
  • Location:COLORADO (Western Slope) closer to Moab than Denver

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:44 AM

Plants are looking good. 😊 The Takanotsume is a great looking plant. I've grown them in the past. I replaced it with the Sadabahar. A really hot one from India. Grows similar, except the pods have a little twist. The Sadabahar is really hot for a Annuum. Up there with Tepin heat wise.
OCD 2017 GLOG http://thehotpepper....63305-ocd-2017/

"There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests