• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

This is my glog. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

And so it begins...

24262800865_2b4e3334f7_k_d.jpg

Did your parents have any other children that lived?  I bet they regret that!  You're so ugly you could be a modern art master piece!  lol  Great movie!

and yeah, what you growing?

I am watering from the bottom, but I also mist from the top for a while until the seedlings develop deeper roots.

I had another variety pop today:
Mako Akokosrade (peppernorth.com)

But then I also lost two varieties trying to remove stuck helmets:
Trinidad Congo White F2
SB7J

I had no luck with these two last year either. I have resown them, a little deeper this time. Hopefully third time lucky...

Yeah, I kept wetting the helmets but they wouldn't come off. I lost another one today (gold Marconi), so I re-sowed it. I did successfully remove three other helmets though so it's not all bad.

Another two varieties came up today:
Mustard bhut
Brown egg (peppernorth.com)

Just received a bunch of new varieties so will be sowing more seeds soon. There's always room for a few more, right?

You gotta lot of nice strains there. Sounds like things are off to a great start!

Patience is usually key with helmet heads and looks like you've got it under control. So often we want to tug or cut it off before it's ready.

Day 15 update.

I've only had one more variety come up since my last post (cheiro roxa), bringing the total to 15/24 varieties (would have been 18/24 if not for the helmet heads). Three of the varieties I'm not even expecting to see come up as I had no luck with the same seeds last year but thought I would give them another shot anyway.

Here's what the first plants are looking like so far.
24337557772_65cea99a16_k_d.jpg

Here are the Jigsaw cross seedlings that I am trying to stabilize. These are F2 so there is a lot of variation, with about half of the seedlings showing the purple coloration that the F1 had. I will be culling all of the non-purple seedlings.

24419728246_031949cd38_k_d.jpg

I also sowed another eleven varieties four days ago, still waiting on the first of these to hook.

Looking good! What I do if a helmet head pops above the soil. I will dig a little on the side and push the helmet under carefully, then cover again with moist soil. It should soften up and come up with its cotydelons. In the past, I have been anxious and would damage a seedling.

Thanks for the info LC, I'll try that on this one and see what happens:
24471606865_15458fe911_k_d.jpg

This one has been stuck like this for a week, I didn't bother trying to free it since I managed to free the other one which also had a stuck helmet...

Lots of action to report today.

First, the Trinidad Congo White and the SB7J that I re-sowed have both come up.

Second, a whole bunch of the round 2 varieties came up (six days after sowing):
Aji Chinchi Amarillo
Aji Fantasy
Ampuis
Dulce Sol
Fatalii Black
Purple Serrano
Numex Big Jim (soon to be a new world record)

Third, I sowed one more variety last night (thanks Penny for the seeds!)

Big Kahuna said:
Lots of action to report today.

First, the Trinidad Congo White and the SB7J that I re-sowed have both come up.

Second, a whole bunch of the round 2 varieties came up (six days after sowing):
Aji Chinchi Amarillo
Aji Fantasy
Ampuis
Dulce Sol
Fatalii Black
Purple Serrano
Numex Big Jim (soon to be a new world record)

Third, I sowed one more variety last night (thanks Penny for the seeds!)
Have you grown the Aji Chinchi Amarillo before?
I'm growing it to this year to, I'm very eager to try it.

Back