• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

preservation pepper vinegar

Anybody ever made pepper vinegar before?

They have it(or used to anyway) at a restaurant called Steak and Shake and a few others(maybe Whataburger).  Its basically peppers in white vinegar.  Dont think its anything to hot usually(maybe jap's, maybe).

Anyway, they supposedly discontinued it and my buddy is heart broken.  I told him I would make some in a few months with some super hots.  He says he can no longer eat chili at Steak and Shake without the pepper vinegar.

Seems the recipe is just fill jar with peppers, boil 50/50 white and apple cider vinegar, fill jar, put lid on.  Not sure I will fill the jar with super hots, but ill get quite a few in there and light his face up.

Is it as simple as the online recipe's are making it out to be?

rjacobs said:

Yes I make it all the time and yes it's as simple as they make it out to be.  Find your bottle.  Fill it with peppers of your choice (I add some garlic and sometimes a little onion).  Heat the vinegar, pour it carefully into the bottle (use a funnel) and then let it age for a couple weeks.  I will normally use 20-30 smaller cayenne and/or thai type peppers and then add a super or two to bump heat in the 18 ounce bottles i use for the purpose.  

Here's a pic of a batch done several months ago.  

5n0idt.jpg

Sweet.  Ive got some reapers in my grow tent that have set some pods so hopefully in a 4-6 weeks I will have some super hots to add to some store bought stuff to make my buddy. 

I told him what I was making and he sent me a picture of a snow cone machine and a toilet...  He knows the pain.

rjacobs said:

They have it(or used to anyway) at a restaurant called Steak and Shake and a few others(maybe Whataburger).  Its basically peppers in white vinegar.  Dont think its anything to hot usually(maybe jap's, maybe).

Anyway, they supposedly discontinued it and my buddy is heart broken.  I told him I would make some in a few months with some super hots.  He says he can no longer eat chili at Steak and Shake without the pepper vinegar.

Seems the recipe is just fill jar with peppers, boil 50/50 white and apple cider vinegar, fill jar, put lid on.  Not sure I will fill the jar with super hots, but ill get quite a few in there and light his face up.

Okay just so you know, Steak N Shake no longer has it on the table because they made room for mustard on the table as they didn't use to have it at the table. If you ask your server for hotsauce they will ask if you want Frank's Red Hot or their pepper sauce. So they still have it, you just have to ask.

Source: I asked for hot sauce when it wasn't at the table anymore and waiter told me why.

I did this with aji pineapple and limon, was pretty good. I love a frisco melt dosed in the pepper vinegar. Wasn't aware they discontinued it. Not that I eat there often. Used to be able to buy a bottle if you asked for it. Only like $2-3 Think they just use sport peppers. 

You could make a stop-gap non-superhot by wrapping some red pepper flakes in a cheese cloth sachet, insert into bottle and cover with vinegar.  Let it steep a few days (the cheesecloth will contain all the bits)...off you go~

A little superhot goes a long way.  For most people, 2-3 fatalii in 2 gallons of sauce makes a nice 3/10 heat.  For vinegar, 3-4 small red chiles (found in cellophane packages in the Mexican Spice section) in 16 oz vinegar will get a good start on a spicy vinegar. 

have fun, post pics~~~

salsalady said:
You could make a stop-gap non-superhot by wrapping some red pepper flakes in a cheese cloth sachet, insert into bottle and cover with vinegar.  Let it steep a few days (the cheesecloth will contain all the bits)...off you go~

A little superhot goes a long way.  For most people, 2-3 fatalii in 2 gallons of sauce makes a nice 3/10 heat.  For vinegar, 3-4 small red chiles (found in cellophane packages in the Mexican Spice section) in 16 oz vinegar will get a good start on a spicy vinegar. 

have fun, post pics~~~

Ive got remnants of 2 reapers in ziplock bags in my freezer, but they were young reapers and pretty small and not all that hot IMO.  Ill wait for these fresh ones and throw in some other peppers from the store.

My daughter in law used to work for Steak and Shake so I asked her for you, here's her response.

"Nothing was added to it. Amazon peppers and vinegar, probably salt. When the sauce would run low as long as the peppers were still vibrant green, we dumped regular white distiller vinegar in the bottles to make them look full again and people never noticed. Texas Pete makes a version too."

chiltepin said:
Texas Pete, Trappey"s ^^^ hahaha.

I use Tabasco peppers and pour heated vinegar.  Had some tonight!  I eat the peppers rather than the juice, uh oh.  These bottles of peppers are on restaurant tables in many parts of the U.S.

lcANgG9l.jpg

I'm with you, i eat the peppers when i make it and use the vinegar on veggies etc...  I take left over bottles from the texas pete bottles i used to buy and do enough for the whole year.

Just to bump this I finally made this vinegar.  Not sure what to call it.

I bought 12oz Woozy bottles.

In each:
1 reaper(still getting small, seedless reapers, but they are over winter peppers, although insanely hot and FULL of oils)
2 Habanero
4 Serrano(I looked for Tabasco or Pequine or some other small chili, but couldnt find any easily)
2-3 cloves of garlic
~8oz of white vinegar

I bought the dripper inserts for my woozy bottles, but didnt install them before sealing.  I didnt think the lids would seal right for long term storage with the dripper in place.  I will be giving my friends these bottles and will give them the dripper to put on once they open it.

I even got the shrink seals for the lids

Chilima said:
Looking good :D let us know how it turns out :)
will do.  Im going to let it sit for at least 2 weeks.

Im kind of afraid of it.  The reapers were small but the smell and oils was intense.  I didnt try one(my milk didnt smell good and I didnt want to temp fate).  The hab's also were quite pungent, but the oil content didnt seem to be crazy.  I didnt lick a glove to find out though!

Back