• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting First pepper-mash ferment

I made my first pepper mash ferment after first trying out sliced peppers with a salt water brine. 

The mash consists of fresno chilis, roasted garlic, carrot, red bell pepper, onion, and 4% salt by weight. I tried only using salt and no water/starter. This is my first time using airlocks and i'm not sure if i'm maybe doing something incorrectly. Every time i look at the ferment it seems as though the water in the airlock is less and there is water pooling on top of the peppers. Not sure if this is inhibiting the ferment from starting but it's day 5 and there seems to be maybe only 3 or 4 bubbles suspended in the mash. The water levels today are below the "fill line" and i'm not sure if i should add more water. 

On the left hand side in the picture is a sliced jalapeno/serrano, onion, tomatillo, garlic ferment with a 4% salt water brine. This one isn't exactly bubbling but is getting very cloudy. In this case the water level in the airlock is getting too high and is almost at the top. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

36fo0xk.jpg

Add more water to the fill line.  Cloudiness is a good sign of fermentation.  The ferments I run are very 'slow' as in very little activity can be noticed from watching the airlock - nothing at all like the beer I've brewed in the past.  They look good and I think you've done well at your first forays into fermentation!! :)

What Smoke said as far and mashes with out starters!

Just a note here, you don't have to shove the airlock all the way down onto the jar and the one on the left and the center one look a little fuller than they should be. The one you have on the right has about the right amount of head space. When they're too full, your going to get overflow so you might want to find something to put under them to catch it. Cleaning up that pepper juice isn't fun and it attracts bugs.

They look tasty though

Cheers

Thanks for the responses guys! Good info here. Is there anything I can do to prevent the water from the airlock being sucked back into the mason jar? The two on the right have water pooling on top of the mash

Back