• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

2016 is Ohjay's year of the habanero

Last season was a great learning experience as a first time grower and hopefully I've learned a few things to make this season even better.
My main let down last season was the relative small harvests I got from most plants. Granted, growing indoors and it being a bad summer didn't help, but I think there could have been a few things I could've done to help the plants be more productive.
So this year I'm going to try a few new things.

First things first though, my grow list(seed source in parenthesis):
Habanero Paper Lantern (Comptine)

Habanero Hand Grenade Yellow (Comptine)
Habanero Roatan Pumpkin (Comptine)
Habanero Manzano (Comptine)
Habanero Antillais Caribbean (Comptine)
Habanero Chocolate (PL)

Habanero Gambia Orange
Habanero Peach
Habanero Orange Devil
Habanero Mili
Carolina Reaper (PL)
Peach Congo (PL)

7 Pod White (PL)
CGN 21566
Aji Melocoton (Comptine)

Bob's Pickling (PL) None germinated
Princess Faten (PL) None germinated

Peach Ghost Jami

[edit]
Seeds sown later on(15/2):
Habanero White Giant
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Luciferino
Habanero Cappuccino
Habanero Pastel
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Chocolate
Douglah Billyboy

I've always considered Habanero to be the best pepper and now it's time to see if that holds true. I looked far and wide to find as many interesting varieties as possible and ended up with the above. Had I not had limited space I would've grown a lot more varieties but what can you do.  :rolleyes:
The last three in this list are the ones I'm most intrigued by though. Bob's Pickling & Princess Faten are bonus seeds from Pepperlover and I have no idea what they are and I haven't seen any information about them. Peach Ghost Jami... I don't even know what to say. The peppers I've seen look tremendous. I just hope I got a good pheno...

In terms of doing things differently then.
I will purely be using BioBizz products, mainly to see if there is much difference compared to the generic soil and Chili Focus I used last year. If anyone has used BioBizz and have nutrition tips please do share.
Soil:
4yFLK85.jpg

First batch of nutrients. More will be used later on but this will get me through the first month of the grow at least:
BnjxcJS.jpg

I had no problems with germination last season but I didn't grow any picky peppers. This time around I think it's different though. So to ensure good soil temperature I bought a heat station.
Here it is with the seeds already in the dirt:
TsnTHOG.jpg

We will see if I'm successful or not. I haven't bothered with soaking seeds, using tea formulas or wet paper towels or anything of the sort. Just straight into the dirt with the seeds. It worked well last time. :party:

Very cool to grow so many habaneros  :P . Im also a big "chinense" fan.

Its exciting to detect the best varieties. Expecially the "Scotch Bonnet" peppers like "Congo" should be very good. Never heared of "Peach Congo"  :shocked:

I whish you good luck and fun.

Nice start!  I think a habanero heat level is just about perfect.  Lots of different varieties as well. Best of luck this year!

Nice list!

At the beginnings of my "relation" with other-countries peppers (because I had a longer relation with our local annuums, before discovering the real, endless world of hot peppers), the much-blamed-by-many Orange Habanero was my favorite. Since 2014, my favorite is Lemon Drop (but let's see what 2016 brings...).

So, have fun growing your habaneros! (and not only)

lol so many habaneros, its to hard chose a one has favorite hahahah

u have great variety i can not wait to see these fruits

Lots of 'Happy Habby Love' going on in this thread- I too am a Habanero fan! :P  Great looking grow list, and it looks like your off to a good start... I'll be watching this for sure! Best wishes with the grow Ohjay!

Looking good dude!
I'm also planning to grow a few habaneros this year and I just love them. The heat that you can almost always bare without much sweat.... almost always :)
Habanero Chocolate is supposed to be the strongest... and I would agree on that. But it's delicious anyway.
Enough blabber.... you'll see.
Enjoy and good luck with the grow!

Thanks everybody for the replies and the kind words!  :dance:

It's interesting that some things don't change. Just like last year I keep checking my plant station 10+ times every day hoping to see a little seedling, but I know it's days before they will actually start showing. Guess I'm just excited  :fireball:  :fireball:

Zackorz said:
Very cool to grow so many habaneros  :P . Im also a big "chinense" fan.

Its exciting to detect the best varieties. Expecially the "Scotch Bonnet" peppers like "Congo" should be very good. Never heared of "Peach Congo"  :shocked:

I whish you good luck and fun.
Peach Congo definitely seems interesting. The main reason I decided to grow it is because it's supposed to be a great chili for container growth.

tsurrie said:
Looking good dude!
I'm also planning to grow a few habaneros this year and I just love them. The heat that you can almost always bare without much sweat.... almost always :)
Habanero Chocolate is supposed to be the strongest... and I would agree on that. But it's delicious anyway.
Enough blabber.... you'll see.
Enjoy and good luck with the grow!
Yeah I'm very excited about trying my first Chocolate Hab. Can't wait  :fireball:

D3monic said:
Very nice list, I got a lot of habanero varieties going this year as well. 
Thanks D3monic. From what I can tell you grow a lot of everything  :lol:
I love following your crossing projects!

I used "BioBizz All Mix" last year ... the mistake I made was according to the nutrient chart nutes could be added week three which I did unfortunately I under estimated the amount of nutes already in the mix ... once added it's hard to take away and I ended up with three stunted plants

You are using the light mix so I would expect the amount of nutes included would be less ... just don't over do it as you are not growing a mother plant just chillies

What I will say is that I had a pest free season no bug eggs not like some composts so for me it was well worth the money. Will use again this season but only water till the flowering stage

All the very best

Good list.
I only have red and orange growing so far.
Was not aware there was that many diff habby's.
Will need to acquire a few more for my next grow season.
Look forward to hearing what you think of them all.

Great stuff!
Huge Hab fan myself , growing red , orange and chocolate at the moment.
I think Habanero plants are the most beautiful of all my pepper plants. Big shiny colourful leaves an strong branches!
Keep us updated.

Thanks all!

Trident chilli said:
I used "BioBizz All Mix" last year ... the mistake I made was according to the nutrient chart nutes could be added week three which I did unfortunately I under estimated the amount of nutes already in the mix ... once added it's hard to take away and I ended up with three stunted plants

You are using the light mix so I would expect the amount of nutes included would be less ... just don't over do it as you are not growing a mother plant just chillies

What I will say is that I had a pest free season no bug eggs not like some composts so for me it was well worth the money. Will use again this season but only water till the flowering stage

All the very best

Yeah Light MIx basically has no nutes whatsoever from what I've read so I have to make sure the plants doesn't get too few nutes.
Sounds good though that you managed to avoid pests with BioBizz soil. :)

Needle99 said:
Good list.
I only have red and orange growing so far.
Was not aware there was that many diff habby's.
Will need to acquire a few more for my next grow season.
Look forward to hearing what you think of them all.
I doubt I'm even growing 10% of all possible Habs. :)
Just the other day I slapped my head for forgetting a couple that I really wanted to grow. Haven't got space for them now I think so they'll have to wait for another season. 

Ohjay said:
...Bob's Pickling & Princess Faten are bonus seeds from Pepperlover and I have no idea what they are and I haven't seen any information about them..
I'll spread these 2 C.annuum varieties in 2016 as Noah.
I will follow you, best of luck for your 2016 season!

Back